How old were you when you had your first child?

I had mine at 17, unfortunately. But I had finished school the year before and I breastfed him and he has a stable clean home of our own. 3 square meals. I'm trying hard to make up for my lack of life experinece. Anyone else out there that were young mommies? Tips?

Scarlet_Delilah

Asked by Scarlet_Delilah at 10:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, I had issues with the Pediatricians, so I found a new one... As far as vaccines go, you have the right to refuse them. Legally NO ONE can force you to vaccinate, period. CPS can "recommend" that you do, but they can not enforce it. Its frustrating, I know... I truly do.

When my DD was young (and my DS as well, I was 20 when he was born- and looked like I was 15, I still do!) their doctors actually asked where their mother was when I walked them to the exam room... needless to say, found a new Dr's office!
    Don't be discouraged, do as much research as you can so that you can make informed decisions, and have intelligent conversations regarding those decisions. Eventually it does get easier. I promise. Now I have no problem speaking my mind, and standing up for my children... I think ALL new moms feel that way at some point, regardless of age.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I was 16 when I had my daughter, she is 9 1/2 now (because the 1/2 is sooooo important, lol). I had my 3rd, and final child when I was 22.

Maybe the best piece of advice that was ever given to me was never to feel intimidated by the older moms, they're doing it for the first time too. Now, as a young adult (26) I have almost 10 years of parenting experience, and find the "older moms" who are first timers asking me for advice and support. Interesting role reversal.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i was 25 so not young
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I had my two at 18 and 19. I had my own place, went to college, breast fed, blah blah. I got married when the younger one was almost one.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i was 23 when i had my dd, 22 when i got pregnant, but i was married... no advice or anything b/c i wasn't really young or on my own, just answering your question though :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i was 22yrs old
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 10:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• 19
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 10:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I was 18.. lived with my mom, no job, had a cheating boyfriend, still in high school.

Now, I am 23 with a 5 & 3 year old, one on the way, live with my amazing fiance, good job.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I was 20 yrs old when I had the twins.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:33 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I was 24, so not a young mom.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 19, 2010