meningococcemia - purpura fulminans: 12 surgeries in 8 weeks for a 6 month old. Wanted to raise some awareness! CALLING ALL MOMS!!

Here's a link to a news special done on my cousin's baby, Gavin, who at only 6 months old was diagnosed with the most rare form of Meningitis recorded. He was only given a 10% chance of survival in the first 24 hours of showing any kind of symptom.

http://www.kdlt.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6186&Itemid=57#video

Here's the question, given the knowledge this could have been vaccinated against, why WASN'T it? What would YOU have done?

Does this make you thank God your children are healthy?

matobe

Asked by matobe at 10:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Health

• I lost my 20 year old son to meningococcal meningitis 12 years ago, not knowing that this disease is potentially vaccine-preventable. I have dedicated my life to raising awareness about the symptoms of meningitis and prevention methods. Unfortunately, there are no vaccines for infants right now to protect against this disease. There are vaccines licensed for people 2-55 years of age. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends routine vaccination for all 11-18 year olds, the earlier the better, hopefully at the 11-12 year old visit. A booster is recommended at age 16-17. If it devastating to me whenever I hear of a case of meningitis. I am hopeful that in the next year, there will be vaccines that will protect infants. In the meantime, parents must be aware of the symptoms. I am the President of the National Meningitis Association, and you can find more about the disease at www.nmaus.org.
    NMAUS

Answer by NMAUS at 11:16 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• After having multiple adverse reactions, and my children contracting 2 of the viruses being vaccinated against, I am no longer a believer in vaccines, or their safety.
    Even when vaccinated, that does not mean you are not at risk of contracting the virus, it simply means that you are less likely to.

And no, I thank the common sense that we are born with, and the ability to research, learn, and apply that knowledge to our lives for the reason that my children are generally in good health. God has nothing to do with it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• of course i thank God daily for the health of my family.
    i also believe with all of my heart that God does not want our bodies, our temples injected with vaccines.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Nice, well, glad it's not your child that had the potential to be protected from such a horrible disease. Glad it's not your child that will have surgery for the rest of his life, embarrassing scars, and medications for the rest of his life.
    matobe

Comment by matobe (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My child was born with cancer and had 6 weeks of radiation therapy at 3 months old, years of exams under anesthesia and lost an eye at 4, had heart surgery at 16. So I can sympathize. Both my kids have been vaccinated against meningitis, but those vax aren't usually given untill pre-teen years
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My 11 year old just got the Vax for it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:18 AM on Nov. 19, 2010