what criteria do they want

i want one more child one day, and im open to adoption since so many kids do oneed good homes. were a happy military family, one healthy toddler right now. what criteria do they look for when selecting a family to adopt? what is the usual price on it? were not poor or struggling but we dont have tons of extra money

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 10:16 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Adoption

• I would start doing some research on the net. Check out some things on the base/post you and your husband are on. I am sure there will be lots of answers and more questions for you. I do believe military families are able to adopt.
    Dancey30

Answer by Dancey30 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• If you're thinking of adopting an infant, you should know that there are more couples hoping to adopt than there are infants available and the cost is between 10 and 40 thousand dollars. If you are looking to adopt a kid that needs a good home then go to the foster system. That's where the children are those parents have already had their parental rights revoked and are in need of a family to raise them. The costs for that are minimal, in the hundreds. The CPS will do a "home study" to make sure you're a suitable family.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 11:49 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• wow. you know so many kids need good homes, you think the cost would be a lot less. just cause you cant throw out 30g to adopt doesnt mean your poor. but not everyone has that. and as much as i love infants, i expected more ppl would want an infant so i am very willing to adopt a toddler or even a little older. its justl ike the dog pounds, the puppies go really fast but no one wants the older ones.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Frequently asked questions about adoption
    http://www.adoptionnetwork.com/adoptiveparents/adoption-faq.shtml
    lanceandhailey

Answer by lanceandhailey at 7:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I would definitley investigate foster adoption. Ours cost $100...that's it! And most foster care adoptions qualify for a monthly subsidy after adoption until the child is 18. In our area it is $400-$1,000 monthly depending on the child's needs and issues (emotional, not just physical). Also a $11k tax credit. We adopted our daughter at age four from foster care, and it has been such a blessing! If you decide to go this route, just really do your homework on attachment isses (the root of most behavioral issues in foster children). I have some book recommendations and useful links on my website if you are interested.
    Christine
    www.christine-mitchell.com
    ForeverMom05

Answer by ForeverMom05 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2008