Do liberals suffer from "A poverty of ambition"?

new liberals suffer from what British author Austin Williams has labeled a “poverty of ambition.” FDR offered a New Deal for the middle class, President Harry S. Truman offered a Fair Deal and President John F. Kennedy pushed us to reach the moon.
In contrast, contemporary liberals seem more concerned about controlling soda consumption and choo-chooing back to 19th-century urbanism. This poverty of ambition hurts Democrats outside the urban centers. For example, when I met with mayors from small, traditionally Democratic cities in
Kentucky and asked what the stimulus had done for them, almost uniformly they said it accomplished little or nothing.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/45376_Page2.html

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 11:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't believe Liberals suffer from a poverty of ambition. But, I do believe that they are very very good at taking advantage of those who do and manipulating them into supporting the Liberal agenda.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Good point superchicken
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• What is the evil liberal agenda SuperChicken? LOL did you read the article?

I read the article but I cant see anything in it that I agree with or think is actually the Liberal agenda. Liberals don't want to micromanage peoples lives any more than conservatives do and I do think we have been pushing for infrastructural projects. in 30' infrastructure jobs were labor jobs. labor doesn't take education and training it just takes sweat. the infrastructure improvements needed in this country today are more on the technical side requiring much more training and thus not putting people to work quickly

rachblue

Answer by rachblue at 11:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• which is why you may see a lack luster enthusiasm for infrastructure projects. it's not that we don't need them or that they are a bad idea its just it wont put enough people to work fast enough. representatives are hopping for a quick fix and there in lies the whole country problem sometimes things just take time
    rachblue

Answer by rachblue at 11:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Evil? What makes you think the Liberal agenda is evil Rachblue?
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• "manipulating them into supporting the Liberal agenda" sounds like you think they are being indoctrinated into some kind of cult.

I don't not think they are evil at all, far from it.
    rachblue

Answer by rachblue at 12:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Generalizing about "Liberals" or Conservatives is a mistake and shows a lazy mind. This author is stereotyping. Everyone is different. I myself,don't follow the crowd, and I think this new generalization is a bunch of crap.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Ignore it SuperChicken. Some Liberals also like to add words to try to discredit.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I found this interesting:

The New Deal’s major infrastructure projects — ports, airports, hydroelectric systems, road networks — transformed large parts of the country, notably in the West and South, from backwaters to thriving modern economies.

When FDR commissioned projects such as the Tennessee Valley Authority, he literally brought light to darkened regions. The loyalty created by FDR and Truman built a base of support for liberalism that lasted for nearly a half-century.

Today’s liberals don’t show enthusiasm for airports or dams — or anything that may kick up some dirt. Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Interior Deanna Archuleta, for example, promised a Las Vegas audience: “You will never see another federal dam.”

Yet this administration is putting huge solar power projects on public land. The focus has shifted, and plenty of dirt is being kicked up for these projects.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2010