What's your opinion?

If a married couple has 2 kids,both in school full time,do you think its fair to the tax payers that the dad work a part time job (school bus driver,20 hrs a week during the school year only) and the mom is unemployed and they get section 8 housing,$600 a month in food stamps and free medical for all family members? They've been on welfare for going on 9 years now. The mom refuses to work,the dad refuses to look for a full time job. Why isn't their social worker putting their foot down and demanding that they both work,or at least the mom work part time as well? And yes,there are jobs in town.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• they are taking advantage of the system, as superrmommyy said. when someone is able and can work, but refuses to, and relies on those of us who do..its not just their business. its a tax-payer burden..and sadly, lots of people do it. too many people use it as a life-long 'gimmee' (its not 'assistance' when you are fully capable of working, call it like it is!), rather than a 'help'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I don't know them or their situation, but because of all the fraud I do see, that is why I am Republican :) I do think that the government makes it too easy and cushy for many using assistance. I know that in CA if one properly utilizes all the programs, he/she can get $30-35K a year. Why would that person want to go get a job that pays less with less benefits? Our system is rediculous.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think they are taking advantage of the system.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:20 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Honestly, I think they are lazy and setting a very bad example for their children.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:24 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I have no knowledge of this particular family, but yes, from what you've described it sounds like they are taking advantage of tax payer money. No social system is going to be free of abuses. Even if we remove all forms of governmental aid to poor people, abuses of tax payer money will still happen.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think they should be told All assistance ends on such and such a date and give them time to find full time work and if they don't take the kids and let them live on the street.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think this happens way too often and way more often than anyone cares to give attention to. Id say a good 80% or more of people on welfare don't need to be, meaning they are healthy and able to work, but just don't want to.
    Scarlet_Delilah

Answer by Scarlet_Delilah at 11:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• That really sucks. My daughter's Sister in law is cheating,pretending to have a "bad back" and using the system too--she even brags about it on Facebook,saying "Yay I don't have to go to work anymore!" and she sits at home at her mother's house, on Facebook,playing Farmville.I am so disgusted with people like that.Especially when I see the people working at Target while in a cart,wheelchair,because they are disabled but they still go to work,while this lazy slob SIL sits at home. Grrrrr. And that case is NOT unusual. People who use the system need to have their benefits cut off.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yes, it sounds like they're taking advantage of the system... While I don't believe welfare should be cut all together, I do believe stricter rules should be in place. People should show they are at least LOOKING for work, not just sitting on their asses doing nothing....
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• What if the women believes it is her religious duty to stay home? Should the state force her against her religious beliefs to work? As for the husband .... necessity is the mother of invention .... they should take him off welfare - he'll figure out a way to make up the extra $$$.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2010