Can a name give information about your personality?

Baby nameologist in my hometown charges 1,000 to name your baby and claims she will find the best name with the most positive associations for future success of your child. Her top girl name pick was Ava.

I know an experienced and very reputable teacher. She strongly feels that certain names were consistent with certain personalities in the classrooms. Every boy Ian she had was off the charts, geniuses in math. She found Ryans were always overly rowdy and difficult, and just forget the name Damien apparently.

And I admit that there are some name associations I have of my own. I have known a lot of Kevins, every one of them insincere and self-centered in nature. Perhaps a coincidence, I know. (Sorry to any Kevins out there!)

My daughter has name that means strong, and she is exactly that. It makes me wonder!

Do you agree or disagree that associations to personalities should be considered when choosing a baby name?

spottedpony

Asked by spottedpony at 11:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Baby Names

• Of course it can. Does it always? No, there are always exceptions. But usually, sure it gives a lot of information!

One example? My name. I am Cinnamon Ambrosia. Yeah, for real. And if you don't realize that my name DOES tell you an awful lot about my mother and my upbringing? You're waaaaaay behind the curve!
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 6:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• A name gives insight into your parents - into their educational level, into their values, into the way a child is raised. So yes, a name can tell you a lot about a person, as it tells you a lot about the environment they come from.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• A name sure does tell a lot about the family, no doubt!
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 6:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I don't buy it. Sorry, but how does a name influence your personality?

Just to toss a wrench into the examples here. The biggest underachiever I know - an Ian. The smartest, most logical and respectful person I know? Daniel. Yet the most obnoxious, insincere boy I know? Also a Daniel (different one.) Of my son's friends, the quietest, most polite, considerate of them (both in front of adults and one-on-one with peers)? Ryan. His older brother has a similar personality. He's a Daniel too.

I tend to ascribe to Shakespeare's take on it: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It tells a lot about how you were likely raised, yes, which has a lot to do with personality development.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 6:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I will agree with that... Every Zachary I have ever know, child or adult has been a total jerk (sorry to the Zach's who may not be). I dont know, like you said, if thats coincidence or tied to the parenting of these kids. I am having one heck of a time coming up with a name for this baby that isnt over-used or that has a stupid meaning. I have an Addelaide = noble and kind and she is extreemly kind and an Angelina = messanger of god, not sure about that one yet.
    mommymeg2002

Answer by mommymeg2002 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• nah i dont agree with it, evryone is unique, whats in a name?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• What you name a child can give information about family views and values. You can see if the family values tradition, education, and more.
    errantmommy

Answer by errantmommy at 6:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I can't really say. I know a ton of Ashleys and sure, a few of them are exactly the same, but not all. I also know a ton of Kayla's (my name's Kayla too) and I don't know another Kayla that is the same way as I am. I'm very introverted, honest, caring and a home-body. Most of the Kayla's I know are partiers, very lively and very wild. So no, I can't say that I agree 100%.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Thanks for the input! Names and the naming process simply fascinate me.

I don't think it is always accurate, but I lean towards thinking there is more to naming your child, than just a name that you pick out of the sky. I agree with those of you who feel that there can be associations drawn from the name, and the name does give a person a scoop of information.

Cinnamon Ambrosia, now that is just really cool! I might just save your name for one of our future pets someday, if that is okay with you of course!
    spottedpony

Comment by spottedpony (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2010