What are your favorite past and/or present holiday traditions?

Asked by kittieashy at 11:45 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Holidays

• Before opening presents my mother would have each of us read, sing, or share a memory. I dont really recall what presents I got as a teenager, or even how many, but I do remember the closeness, the love.

Answer by Glickstein at 11:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Watching the look on my daughters face when she gets all those news toys! It's AMAZING! I know Christmas isn't about the stuff you buy...but it's worth the face! :) I like the family gathering too!

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Christmas Eve at my grandma's house. I love her so much, and we have been going there my entire life.

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• For years a family in a neighboring town had tons of lights and displays they would put up beginning around Thanksgiving and would leave them up into the new year. They would add new displays each year. That was one of our favorite things to do, was to go see the lights and stuff. Some teenagers vandalized the place twice, so the family doesnt do it anymore. We still like to see what others put up, though.

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Having everyone over for Thanksgiving dinner and then decorating the house for Christmas the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Answer by momof3inTN at 12:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I always enjoy the food and family. On Christmas, excluding the past couple years, we always played a game called Mafia. The best part for me was visiting with family that I would usually only see on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Comment by kittieashy (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Having my whole huge family together to have a giant Christmas meal, running around with cousins playing, guys watching football and minding the kids, women playing cards and minding dinner, and munches and kids.
    It is a great loving tradition that I have missed since joining my hubby joined the military. We did the same thing at Thanksgiving butt at a different cousins house.

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:55 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• When I was young, we spend Christmas Eve with one set of grandparents and Christmas with the other. I miss that.

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My fave holiday traditions:

Diwali: Light the lamps, new clothes and the giving of gifts
    Holi: throwing colors and water fights.. and Bhang but I can't have/get that in the states.. lol

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:50 AM on Nov. 19, 2010