sending cookies

I want to send cookies to a friend a few states over and maybe to a friend in the military. Any tips?

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 11:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Some cookies (like shortbread and gingerbread) send better than others (like chocolate chip). Layer them in freezer bags, seal the bag, and line the box with bubble wrap or another type of padding.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:51 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Empty pringles cans make great packing for homemade cookies.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:51 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• if your military friend is overseas i wouldnt. My mom and grandma sent my brother cookies and its been 3 wks and he still hasnt got them
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If you want to send cookies to military overseas, we send Girl Scout cookies every year and because they are not the homemade they do keep much better for the long journey.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Good point, shay. Love the tips so far.
    duckigrrl

Comment by duckigrrl (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Select your baking with care --some items are more likely to crumble or go sticky than others. Choose reasonably hard cookies (like Neiman Marcus cookies) rather than soft ones (like toll house), then wrap them individually in white tissue paper, and box them using crumpled tissue paper at the top and bottom to keep them from moving around.

Shortbread travels well, but not if it's whipped shortbread.

Making whatever you bake into sandwich cookies by adding a layer of frosting or jam between 2 and then dipping it in chocolate makes them even sturdier.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i agree with scoutmom. mil and i sent hubby girl scout cookies to him while he was deployed (a huge flat rate box full) and he said they were fine when they got there, which took a WHILE. lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I have heard you can coushin cookies with baggies of popcorn. Then they can enjoy the packing as well!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I used to freeze homemade cookies and vacuum seal them using my Foodsaver. Even if it was weeks before my husband got them, he said they were fresh. I even tested that theory and it is true.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My former MIL used to ship us cookies every Christmas and they always crumbled. I found out later she used shortening instead of butter/margarine. My Mom used to send us cookies and they never crumbled. She used butter. Also, they packed them in ziploc or rubbermaid containers with wax paper surrounding each layer of cookies. They then packed them securely in a shipping box.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 3:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2010