How can I help my 1yr old with his asthma?

becky_barber84

Asked by becky_barber84 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Did u taks him to the doctor??? He needs to go. He needs medication.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yes, take him to a pediatric allergist now, it can do wonders for him! He probably will need an inhaler, which they make special for children to use, and maybe a daily allergy medication will help. Our son has had allergy shots at age 7 and it has been AMAZING for him. He is off the inhalers and meds now! Good luck!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• He been on breathing treatments for over 3 months now he currently takes steroids and albuteral for it and just recently got out of the hospital for pneumonia but doesnt seem to be improving
    becky_barber84

Comment by becky_barber84 (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My son went to the hospital for pneumonia at 15 months, where he was finally diagnosed with asthma-- It was only being treated by oral steroids and albuterol when he was having problems-- I finally saw a specialist and got him on some preventative meds (singulair & pulmicort). I waited way too long, thinking that asthmatic children just always were coughing and sounding like this (because his regular pediatricin never made a big deal about it). So make a BIG deal about it. My son went for MONTHS and MONTHS constantly coughing and needing albuterol, and getting pneumonia-- now he's only had it ONCE and is able to get over his sicknesses WAY faster than before.

Another big thing is to try and figure out and eliminate his triggers. Household cleaners, pets, smoke, etc... you can also have him allergy tested to help find out some of the possible triggers. GL
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I would definitely call the doctor and tell him/her what is going on.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Pulmicort helped a lot for my son when he was that little. When he got sick he needed albuterol and oral steroids too, but he never had to be hospitalized.

Find a pediatric pulminiologist and get him in asap. You want to make sure that it is under control.

Is he on a neb or inhalers? My son is three and just went to an inhaler. He does better on that for the coltroller, but I've been told the neb works better for albuterol.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• *controller
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Another big thing is to try and figure out and eliminate his triggers. Household cleaners, pets, smoke, etc... you can also have him allergy tested to help find out some of the possible triggers. GL

That's a big one too. We gave our dog to a friend because he was bringing allergens into the home every time he went potty. We stopped wearing shoes on the carpets, went to natural cleaners, and had him allergy tested.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yeah its a nebulizer that he takes everyday the allbuteral as needed which is about every 2 hours and the pulmicort 2 times a day
    becky_barber84

Comment by becky_barber84 (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My son has asthma, I know a little bit more about it because I have it myself.He had RSV this past January, He was taking Albuterol and Pulmicort and when it got really bad he took a steroid, but, the first thing is allergy testing would be good, next would be to take him to a specalist that helps with asthma and allergies, and 3rd, typically it can get trigger from colds, so just do the best you can by keeping on the schedule for meds, and all we can hope for our kids, that it will get better in the future.
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:03 AM on Nov. 20, 2010