Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know of an alternative? adult content

To getting a PAP done? I get freaked out and it is EXTREMELY painful for me. I bleed for 3 days after. The doctor said its normal, after getting 2 i dont believe that. I know im not a baby the pain is very intense for hours after as well. So do you know if there is ANY OTHER WAY???


Asked by chanelsparkels at 12:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Health

Level 15 (2,057 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • That sounds so odd to me. I am 43 & have had so many pap smears that I cannot even remember how many & I have NEVER had any pain or bleeding afterwards. I say go to another Dr. Sounds like the Dr. that you are going to is prehistoric in their ways. Go to a new practice with younger doctors so you receive up to date medical care and they use the newest methods. So get a new OBGYN ASAP!

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • I wouldn't think that there is an alternative because many women would opt to not do it. I don't think anyone thinks it is pleasant or even passable experience it is just necessary.

    Answer by Melbornj at 12:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • No, there isn't.

    BTW I bleed for about 2 days after, and experience horrible cramps. Its common.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • No alternative, how else would they be able to see your cervix and take cells without being invasive? Sorry it sucks for you, no one likes them and its universally an uncomfortable situation.


    Answer by bjojola at 12:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • Just let your doctor know how you feel and they should be sympathetic. If not, I would find another doctor. This has always been uncomfortable for me too, but not as much after having a baby. Have you had kids vaginally? Or sometimes you can have an odd shaped pelvis and any kind of penetration might be painful.

    Answer by meg4763 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • So i just found out that there is not an alternative BUT there is a way to make it less painful. One can ask to have a pediatric probe used on them instead of a standard probe.

    Comment by chanelsparkels (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2010