Cry it out or dont cry it out

TiffanieAnn

Asked by TiffanieAnn at 12:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What or you talking about?
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 12:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I never did that to my kids. It seems so cruel to me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• if you are talking about a baby, than you have to see if they have gas or are wet, hungry, if okay a little crying is okay. Under a year old I would comport them.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yes,when every other thing has been tried

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I have never let my son cry it out. He's 26 months now, and very easygoing and loving. Temper tantrums happen, but they're EXTREMELY rare. Oh, and he's been sleeping in his own bed from day 1, goes to bed easily, and never gets up before I go get him in the morning. To me, it's just not worth it...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• what am i talking about?? Would you let your baby/child cry it out to get them to sleep all night or no
    TiffanieAnn

Comment by TiffanieAnn (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I have recently found out that one of the causes of heart valve disorders in small babies is the physical strain of 'purple-faced' crying. So, since 'crying it out' is a known risk factor for heart damage, I'd say it would be more appropriate to be kind.

I like to see everything anyone suggest doing to a baby 'as if' they were suggesting doing it with an adult: if you were visiting a foreign country and got hurt or frightened, and couldn't get what you needed across to anyone because you didn't speak their language, would you think 'oh, that's fine' if instead of attempting to find out what was wrong with you and help, they walked away saying 'she just needs to cry it out, she can't get her own way all the time, what a manipulative brat, she probably just cries out of habit'?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I have always heard, and did this with mine, that if baby is not hungry, wet, or something like that then you should leave the room for like 30 sec..if not stopped crying, go back in so they can see you.. then leave for 1 min...and repeat if still crying. The point is to make them understand that you are close even though they can not see you. I do not believe in letting them cry til they puke or get purple, but they need to cry a little bc it is good for their lungs maturity. Also, when they see that you will come back it comforts them and eventually they will know you will come back without having to cry constantly and have you come back in all the time. This worked with mine. Good luck.
    meg4763

Answer by meg4763 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• That's your call and your decision. If you ask a question in such a manner as you just did, it looks like you are trying to start an argument. If you are asking because you honestly want to know which one to choose, well, only you can decide that for yourself.

I, personally, don't think there is anything wrong with that. If the baby is not wet, hungry or in pain, then you can simply lay him in his crib and let his fuss. He will eventually fall asleep. If he is simply throwing a fit, sometimes it is better for parent and child to lay him in the crib, and walk out of the room.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I dont see how im trying to start an argument by asking a simple question to see what other moms thought...it looks to me as if YOUR trying to start an argument or you wouldnt have said anything at all...and i have decided for myself which method i would use as i said before I was wondering what other women thought about it... :)
    TiffanieAnn

Comment by TiffanieAnn (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2010