4 year old grounding...

would grounding a 4 year old work?? if so what would be the best time frame and limitations?? (grounding reasons being: biting, scratching, kicking, screaming, hitting, back talking, and not listening)

Roo_momof2

Asked by Roo_momof2 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Personally I don't think grounding a 4 yr old would work, but that is just my opinion. My 4 yr old DD gets put in timeout instead and that works wonderfully.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Have you tried time out? I'm not sure if a 4 year old would understand the grounded method. Keeping them in their room might be more trouble than it is worth.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• timeouts havent worked for my 4 year old aiden sine he was like 2 lol.. i guess it works for some kids.. im just not one of those lucky parents lol
    Roo_momof2

Comment by Roo_momof2 (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Grounding is good for older children who have a social life outside the home. Not for a 4 year old. Every child has a "currency" which is that thing or activity which is most important to them. Withholding that as punishment is better for a 4 year old. Also, make sure he is getting enough one on one time with you and your SO. Plus praise when he does things right. Kids go for negative attention sometimes when they can not get positive attention.  GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• No, reprimanding him the MOMENT it happens, in a calm, quiet tone explaining what he did wrong, and why he is being punished will work much, much better.

Grounding is for when children are old enough to understand that they are losing privileges due to their ill behavior, and can self correct.

Sounds like he needs consistency and structure.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I grounded my kids when they were 4. I sent them to their room for a number of hours or entire day. They only can out for food and bathroom. Works great!! They learn a lesson and you get a break.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 12:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I ground my 4 yr old from his favorite movies for a day when he acts out. He's also been grounded from his bike. It works pretty well -- you just have to find the things that are important enough to get the point across.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• We limit our boys 4 and 5. Keep them inside or what have you. It works for us. So does time out, but you have to make him stay by putting him back no matter the fit and no matter how many times they get up. They have to learn you can't be broken.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• For my 4 yr old, if he does things like you're mentioning his punishments are a time out and depending on what he did, a toy might be put up...but that is only for the rest of the day. I don't think grounding will work yet. the punishments need to be shorter and to me grounding is an extended time
    stykir

Answer by stykir at 11:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't ground at 4 but I would spank or take something away if timeouts don't work. I just don't think that grounding will have any effect. Maybe try early bedtime though 4 might be a bit young.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 1:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2010