what is worse ? hairdryer or hair-straightener ??

i know too much heat is not good for hair. but i was just wondering .. out of these 2, which one is worse ??
and does too much of heat (as in blow-drying your hair everyday) really makes your hair fall out or is that just a beauty myth ?

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• From my understanding the hair straightener is worse because it's direct heat on your hair. I've been blow drying my hear for YEARS, and started using the hair straightener two years ago. Six months after I started using it I already had noticeable damage to my hair. I started using heat stuff on my hair and it's all good now. But I don't use the hair straightener very often any more.
    mz_erica03

Answer by mz_erica03 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I don't use either, but I would guess a straightener is worse, it's directly on the hair and lots of newer blow driers have a cool option.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• The straightener, because it is directly on the hair.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Both are actually equally bad unless you are using a good heat protectant WITHOUT alcohol. That would be such products as CHI Silk Infusion or Enjoy Hair and Skin Treatment Oil. These products will actually prevent that damage to the hair.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It depends on how long it comes in contact with the hair. I've blown dry my hair 90% of the time ever since I was a small child and I've never seen damage. Straighteners are damaging. Try to limit it to a few times a week

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I say the hair dryer is worse. I can use a straightener without any problems, but it takes weeks for my hair to recover from blowdrying.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i agree with the straightener
    TiffanieAnn

Answer by TiffanieAnn at 1:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Both. I use a straightner a lot. But I also use a product to protect my hair.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think the thing most damaging is using EITHER on hair that isn't absolutely clean. Well, that and over-doing either.

I used to blow my hair bone dry -- and it looked it. Now I let it air dry, then use a curling/flat iron. I have to allow an hour or so (changing towels it's wrapped in at least twice) because my hair is thick, course, curly and long. But since I stopped blowdrying it, it's much healthier looking and feeling. I also use a good spritz of heat protection product while it's damp. If I can't wait for it to air dry, I give it a little blowing - but leave it just slightly damp. The bit of dampness helps me iron it smooth.

Regarding the clean hair thing: any grit in your hair gets heated up when you heat-style. Those hot little particles can singe the hair shaft and cause breakage.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• blow drying your hair everyday could make you hair very course and dry. And if you are blow drying it and flat ironing your hair almost everyday the ends of your hair will become very brittle and crunchy like.
    obenblue

Answer by obenblue at 11:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2010