struggling.

It seems no matter what i do, even on a budget we are always going in the hole every month and hit by the over draft fees. Can anyone help me out. Is there anyway to stay out of the red. Im in the red now and 2 weeks before we get paid again. My husband is too proud so won't get like food stamps and stuff that will help us out alittle.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Okay, so your husband is too proud to sign up for Government assitance, but you're not. Are you? If you guys need the help and qualify then there's no shame in asking for that help. You guys could benefit yourselves greatly if you signed up for government assitence. I also suggest getting rid of cable TV, unneccisary cell phone bills (If you need a phone get the basic plan and get rid of your landline), get basic internet if you need that, don't have magazine subscriptions, don't go out to eat, etc. Dont overindulge on snacks, soda, and other products of that nature, because that only feeds into a large grocery bill. A budget is meant to be tight and strict, and if you're having trouble sticking to it then you need to sit down and revise it. Luxeries can go. If you don't absolutely NEED two cars then cut one insurance off and stop using the second car for example.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If you are going over your budget there is nothing else you can do besides cuting things off. No internet No cable etc..Start sweet talking for state aid. Food stamps, cash aid, wic...When it comes down to it your kids eating is more important than his pride. If you have worked longer than a year and paid taxes you should not feel guilty about getting Aid. You are just cashing in those taxes...You will get so far in debt it will ruin your whole life and your kids childhood.
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 12:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Start trackin what you spend. Every dime. If you have excel use it. Track what bill have been paid and when they have cleared. If you buy gas/groceries etc log it. If you start tracking where the money is going you will know when it is gone. I have done that for about a year now and no more bounced checks or overdraft fees. When the money is gone we just find a way to work it out till the next pay.
    christinato

Answer by christinato at 1:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If you set up a budget that is in the black, then you have to stick to it. Have you checked out dave ramsey?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• you are NOT alone! Believe me. we are behind in rent, our bills are late...it sucks. SO works FT during the day and I'm a sahm. We can't afford childcare. I did recently apply for a few nightshift jobs and actually had an interview a few days ago. I never got a call so I guess I didnt get the job. That works out in a way because DS had the flu. If I worked all night till morning, if ds woke up, SO wouldnt get a good nights rest for the next working day! Not too mention I'd be too exhausted to be supermom after working all night. I recently put up a job offer online for a babysitting job. Maybe thats something you could offer locally! Daycare is expensive so if you offered half of what they charge you'd most likely get some feedback.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• BUMP
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Cut back, cut back, cut back. Find ways to do without. Get rid of cell phones, get rid of cable, get rid of internet, start purchasing only food that is on sale and that you have coupons for, learn to say NO when the kids ask for something, How do you stick to a budget? You just DO IT. You don't indulge in things just because you want them. You don't "cheat" on a budget, because when you do you're only cheating yourself, your partner, your children, and your future.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 4:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I know it stinks! We were bad about having no money when I was pg with my first baby. Since then I have set a budget and written out exactly how we are going to spend out money. We have bought most of our children's Christmas gifts off ebay and craigslist and we do not eat out. I use coupons at the grocery store and buy only what is on my list (that one took a long time to be able to do!). I also have sold things we no longer need on craigslist to have a little extra cash for Christmas shopping! We also got passes to places (children's museum,zoo) we used some of our tax return and now have places to visit throughout the year that are FREE! we also pack a lunch when we go. the library is also a place we love to visit. I found that we were spending money when DH was home and now we go to the library or the museum and we have been having extra money in our bank account! Good Luck to you
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 4:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• The other ladies are right. There are really only two sides to the money equation, the income side and the expense side.
    Soooooooooo your options are. Sell a car, have a garage sale, babysit, start cleaning homes, deliver pizzas, mow a lawn or shovel a side walk to help get your income up.

And/or cancel cable, stop eating out, cut the grocery budget, start couponing, get rid of the car payments etc.

Those are just ides. So start thinking of some. A combination of both will probably put you in the black.

I would also recommend Dave Ramsey's book, Total Money Makeover.
    Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Live within your means. Sit down and look at the income coming in and pay bills first. Any leftover money do not spend it unless absolutely necessary, save it for the next month.
    Hope it helps.
    Tina
    tina454542

Answer by tina454542 at 8:32 AM on Nov. 20, 2010