should new born preemies sleep through the night

dawna777

Asked by dawna777 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly don't know for sure, my guess would be that they would wake more often then a full term baby due to the need to eat. Their little tummies are only the size of their fists so I would think they would need to eat more often.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 10:33 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• No way! Full term newborns shouldn't sleep through the night! You should wake them up every three hour to eat!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 10:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• No my son was 8 weeks premature, he was up about every hour and a half. He did not sleep through the night till he was almost a year old. It was horrible I was very sleepy!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• No newborns sleep through the night. They need to be eating every 2 hours or so.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• No, they shouldn't. They may be tired enough to, if their biliruben levels are elevated, but their nutritional needs at that point require waking every few hours, at least every 2.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 10:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My son was born at 34 weeks and he would get feed every 4 hours and I would wake up him for his feeding time but when he got to 4 month I stop waking him up in the middlle of the night for his feeding because that's when he started to sleep thought the night and also the dr told us to stop the middle of the night feeding and have him sleep though the night. My son is now 11 months old and has been sleeping thought the night since he was 4 months old. I would wake up your baby for the feeding and then ask your doctor when you should you stop waking them up for feeding and have them sleep thought the night.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My son slept through the night from the beginning. His pediatricians said that it was normal as long as he ate during the day and continued to gain weight.
    oh__you

Answer by oh__you at 12:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• NO! My son was 5 weeks premature and got up every 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 1:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2008