How do you politely keep unwanted visitors away?

We live in a wonderful neighborhood with wonderful neighbors. There's this one girl who's about 2 years older than my daughter (3rd grade vs 5th grade). Everyday she makes an appearance to try to play with my 8 year old. My problem is the girl is not the best influence. She's mean to my 4 year old & encourages negative drama. I love the girl's parents & do not want to offend them. How do I discourage her visits?

serendipityme

Asked by serendipityme at 10:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't have an answer for you, but I would love to see what people write!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I would make rules for your house. For any kid that comes over. If they don't stick to them, send them/her home. My boys are sometimes not so nice to their cousins, and that's what I told my sister to do. I can't come over there and discipline them every single time they act up, so send them home. (we live next door to her). It works well. They usually behave when they are there.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:48 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Rules work, I have an almost 6 year old and a 4 year old and a neighbor boy who is 7 or 8 and my 6 year old always wants to play with him but he is NOT nice to my 4 year old. The neighbor boy likes to play fight and stuff like that so I feel like I HAVE to supervise so that no one gets hurt and if he gets too rough I send his little butt packing.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:22 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Tell her parents that unless you or your daughter invite her over to play that you would rather her not be over there. If they ask why, just tell them that you think it is rude when people just show up univited.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I agree with mamroberts and drowningwboys. This has always worked for me. It's your home and only your rules matter, perhaps she has no rules at her home and thats why she's always at yours. When children don't want to be in their own home, there is usually an ugly reason.
    Star419

Answer by Star419 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I have a friend whose house is the one where all the neighborhood kids gather. She recently got a flourescent orange posterboard and put up the house rules - example: No Hitting! No Yelling! No Running in the house! Good manners only! Respect adults!, etc.... Every child that comes into the house has to read the rules (or she reads them to the child) and the child must agree to follow the rules or they must leave immediately. As a parent who has children who play over there, I LOVE it that she has a parenting backbone and isn't one of those wimpy moms who are afraid they will hurt someone's feelings if they stand up and Parent my children too when they are there. She's been my friend for 26 years, but her strong convinction is why I trust her with my children.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 12:08 AM on Nov. 5, 2008