my 23 month old daughter has a fever of 103.9, what should i do?

this is really just an ironic spin off of my last post (she really does have a high fever but i already took her to the doctor this morning and am giving her the TLC she needs). anyway my last post was more about my husband's failure to step up to his responsibility as a dad (and yes his kid is his responsibility too.. i dont remember creating her by divine intervention) and some of you thought rushing her to the doctor was the wrong thing to do. okay, fine, i welcome your opinion. i just wonder what some of you might have said if i had asked this first. would you have told me to get off the computer and take her to the doctor?

**please dont take offense to my question. just pointing out the irony**

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I don't know why anyone would get onto you for taking her into the doctor...I'm no hypochondriac, but I would take my toddler in if she were running a temp of almost 104. If it was lower, then perhaps just a phone call and talk w/ the nurse would suffice.

But you know how it is here on cafemom...lots of different opinions and lots of people who feel the need to comment on things that weren't a part of the original question.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I didn't see your previous post, but my response would've been to call her pediatrician, tell them her symptoms and wait for them to tell you what to do. If my kid's temperature ever gets over 101, I immediately call her pediatrician.

And I'm sorry about your husband and I really hope your daughter feels better soon. I know how difficult it is and how heart-breaking it is to deal with a sick baby.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• at that age, and with that high grade fever, yes I would have called the doctor or offered a fever reducer. My son had a fever of 102.8 a few days ago but i just offered pedialyte and let him sleep all day and it went down on its own. I hope she feels better soon! Is it the flu? My son had it for 4 days but it is now just a stuffy nose and cough (probably from post nasal drip).
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I didn't see the original post but my first thought was to alternate motrin and tylenol every 3 hours until it is below 102 then go to just one or the other. I was also thinking I would give my child a slightly warmer than room temp bath and put them in light weight PJ.'s. I would call the doctor if it didn't start to go down with in and hour or so.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You should try mixing some kids probiotic powder into her juice. A dairy free way to get those good bacterias back into her digestive tract. Dairy is yucky for a sick tummy but probiotics will do wonders!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• awww OP you have been through quite a lot! I hope things settle down soon! yes w/ a high grade fever always contact a dr.. Even adults imo should seek medical assistance if they have a high grade fever, especially if vomiting follows. If you just let it slide it could lead to something worse.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i would of went straight to the er myself
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• without knowing the original post and assuming that she doesnt have any other health problems i personally would give some tylenol and plenty of fluid and a timpid bath and call the nurse online so see if they think she should go in. fevers to me arent a big deal unless the child is under a year. usually fevers are a good thing and means that the body is fighting the infection and are only treated for comfort of the child.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I didn't see the original post either, but my first reaction was to tell you to call the doctor, too.
    trephany129

Answer by trephany129 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• When my son gets high fevers like that I give him Tylenol and Motrin, then will cool him down with a wet wash cloth. He used to get febrile seizures so we'd have to get his fever under control right away. Kids that age do get REALLY high fevers sometimes (the highest my son had was 105 before we got it down) which is scary, but not an emergency situation unless you can't get it down.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2010