How will i know?

How will i know when a contraction is starting? Do they come 20 minutes apart or does it come just right at 5-7 minutes apart? Im super scared i won't make it to hospital in time for epidural .. I am not good with any pain, having braxton hicks contraction i wanna cry haha! Right now, i don't think baby has dropped but i do feel sharp pokes/moving on my cervix . . sure feels like she is scratching my vagina walls, weird! ANY advice or thoughts. :-)

JessJos

Asked by JessJos at 1:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You WILL know. That Braxton Hicks contraction? Multiply it. As to timing... it always varies. Talk with your doc about your concerns.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It's different for everyone. They could start really mild and really far apart and get stronger and closer together... or they could just start strong and fast. No way to know until it happens! With both of mine I could tell that it was close, though... you just get a feeling.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• when i started getting my contractions they were hard and about 5-7 min apart.....a friend of mine had mild contractions starting around 10-15 min apart. But you will know...Good luck!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You will know when you are in labor, don't worry. Contractions start different for everyone... But once you get very uncomfortable in pain, you should contact your doctor. Don't stress about the epidural.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Thank you girl's .. :)
    JessJos

Comment by JessJos (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Like they all said, every woman is different. For me, the "real" contractions felt like menstrual cramps that kept coming and going and increasing in intensity. Some women start out 30 minutes apart, like I did. Some women start out 5 minutes apart. Neither is right or wrong, and neither is necessarily indicative of a faster or slower labor. When you go into labor, there will he something different about it, and you really will just "know." You may surprise yourself! =)
    good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You will know real contractions.At least I did.My first real one and i was like lets go!
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 5:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2010