Baby Gas and Discomfort HELP

I just started transitioning my 5wk old from breastmilk to formula. She's having a lot of gas and discomfort and I don't know what to do. I realize that breastmilk is the best type of formula but I had to stop breastfeeding because it was making me an emotional mess for my daughter and in addition I ended up getting thrush and giving it to her. We are barely on day 2 of Enfamil Gentlease Lipil and I'm not sure how much time I should give this formula before switching if I need to. I just can't handle feeling like I can't help her with her discomfort when she's crying. Is there a remedy that any of you have tried or possibly a better formula? How long should I give this formula? HELP..I feel like a horrible first time mother :(

mire621

Asked by mire621 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mire, you may have to keep trying different formulas till you find one that works. Or you might have to keep trying bottles. Your choice there. If you need any help dealing with the emotional mess that breastfeeding may have made you (I say "may" because frankly BABIES do it to most of us, never mind the feeding)... message me or drop by the brastfeeding moms group.

Gripe water or mylicon can also help with gas.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You're not a horrible mother! My daughter has tummy issues too. Stay on the formula for now, switching again could cause more tummy troubles. Do you have any Mylicon drops? They were a life-saver w/both my girls! Also, I took a sock that didn't have a match(lol), put some uncooked rice in it & tied a knot at the top. Put it in your microwave for a few...just long enough to get it warm (not hot) and put that on your babies tummy. Pump her legs too, that will help move stuff around.
    Good luck momma and congrats!!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• little tummys grip water helps along with doing some bicyle motions with her legs. you could try a different bottle too just depends on how well she is taking the current bottle.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• There is in the baby section of the stores drops for gas and I did use them with my girls and it did help. It might be to try a formula that might be a latose kind and that might help. I forgot the name of it since kids are older now just check in the baby aisle or ask your doctor for ideas.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I don't know much about formula, but wanted to offer my support should you decide to try nursing again. When you say emotional mess, are you talking, like, PPD? If so, you might consider going on meds for PPD, and trying to nurse, the meds might make nursing easier for you. I know this isn't what you asked, but wanted to suggest it in case you didn't think of it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I would recommend talking to your doctor or health department about options. I think the health department would be better help on which formula would most likely work for your baby. Keep trying and the gas drops are wonderful!! Good luck!

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It depends on the baby, My son was on breast milk and I slowly put him on formula to make the transition easier, however, we had to try different formula too I found Good Start to be a good one. And even the Target brand up and up worked well. But, the gas thing you could do Karo syrup in the bottles and you could also do some gas drops for them to use.
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2010