Has anyone's pet had an oral tumor removed?

How did s/he fare?

My 6 yr old calico just had an oral tumor removed and the vet did not sound completely (or even somewhat) optimistic. I'm just terrified that I'm going to lose my baby-cat. She is "my" cat and follows me everywhere.

balagan_imma

Asked by balagan_imma at 1:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Pets

• It is not uncommon for growths in the mouth to be cancerous.  This doens't mean it's time to panic though.  I assume you had it sent off for annaylisis.  There is a good chance that they got all of it and there is a chance that is will not be reoccuring.  Don't worry to much yet.  Yes it can be very bad BUT ther is a chance it will be just fine.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I would wait and see. I know easier said then done. I am an animal lover too,All my prayers.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I had a cat that had an oral tumor too...we weren't able to catch ours in time, and it was too big to be operated on by the time we found out he had it. We did eventually have him euthanized. Hope your kitty gets better soon!!!
    cnice1976

Answer by cnice1976 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Poor cat- I hope the growth was benign and is nothing to worry about when the biopsy comes back. One of my hedgehogs had an oral tumour- we chose just to leave it there because surgery on such a small animal is always risky and the vet said if it was benign leaving it would not hurt because it wasn't interfering with her eating, and if it was malignant the likelihood of saving her through surgery was very slim. In her case it was benign, as she lived with it for a couple of years and eventually died around her normal life expectancy of something totally unrelated.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Thank you everyone. I am freaking because we have lost 2 pets to cancer. One was a calico who basically saved my life - my ex's treatment of her made me realize that he was abusive to both of us. Six weeks later our dog went. We got this cat a week after the dog died because our 4 yr old was having nightmares. And she is just the sweetest thing.

She is home and very wary of us right now. I have to wait for about Tues. for the biopsy. The vet said that she got as much as she could, but obviously there could be a few cells left over. So now we wait and hope and pray. Her name is Tulie, which basically means "my cat" in Hebrew.

I'll give an update when I have one.
    balagan_imma

Comment by balagan_imma (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Thank you everyone! We just got the results back and she is fine. It was a really nasty polyp, not a malignancy. What a relief. The patient is doing well and being, well, very cat like. She's still a little quiet, but I think it's her attempt to have me not notice her, lest I give her medication.
    balagan_imma

Comment by balagan_imma (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Nov. 24, 2010