Do you know your elected officials?

This last election I was really irritated with myself. Usually I feel that I'm an informed voter but the only thing that I felt comfortable with voting for was the judges. (I had found a web site that "judged the Judges") I actually had to find who represnted me in the state congress. I hear names like Pelosi and Reid who do not even represent me but I did not know who the city counsel members in my own district where. I have since rectified that and have emailed my local reps and plan to stay more informed. Any thoughts on this?

CKasting

Asked by CKasting at 2:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I make sure that I know who is running and what their stand is on things that concern me. I have never gone into a voting booth not knowing who I was voting for.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yes
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I know quite a few personally, and not just because I've interviewed many of them. It happens when you work in media for a long time; I met many of our local reps when I was Operations Director of a radio station in town.

Being informed is what it's all about... and to be informed locally you have to do more than watch the cable newscasts, or even your local newscasts much of the time, because TV doesn't do politics well. Read your local newspaper. And I'm going to sugest that you read the PRINT EDITION because you will find more there. I haven't come across a newspaper website yet that's as good as the print edition of any of my local papers. Sad that so many print papers are suffering.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• gdiamante:personally I perfer reading the print version of the paper. I'm finding,though that the internet is been a great tool to help me become better informed when making decisions when it comes to local government. I work full time and have an 11year old so sometimes life gets in the way. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    CKasting

Comment by CKasting (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• The problem with reading a PRINT paper is a) the waste and mess, b) the poor delivery, and the fact that their customer service center took service lessons from Cruella DeVille.
    They don't get my money because evidently they don't want it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yes, and two of the three are useless, been in the job too long and should retire. The third is quite new at the job , OK so far , at least has the energy of youth going for her.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Sure do... And I'm happy to say that most of the ones who won were the ones I supported... With the exception of our mayor, but oh well, can't win 'em all.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Now I'm really embarassed. No excuses here. I will stay better informed.
    CKasting

Comment by CKasting (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• yes, but they aren't who I voted for :(
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yes, I have contacted most of them, more than once, lol...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2010