My daughter is 3 1/2 and only weighs 25 pounds...

She has become more and more picky about her food lately and doesn't hardly ever eat everything on her plate.... or more than 10 bites most nights even though she sits there for PLENTY of time. She doesn't like Pedisure. I don't know what else to give her.

I've tried giving her smaller portions of food, let her choose foods, etc... it didn't help. She still barely eats. :(

I'm starting to get worried. I just want her to be healthy. She has a super fast metabolism on top of not really eating.

What can I try?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 2:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• honestly she sounds fine. if the % are proportionate, she is fine. my oldest is about 25% on both and my youngest is aboue 20% on both... theya re 3 and 2... very small... but healthy.
    i wouldn't FORCE feed her, just make sure you are offering her good things to eat all day. maybe if she is drinking alot, remove some of the liquids from her diet, as those can fill her up also.
    i would ignore those that say malnutrition... she sounds fine... and she wouldn't be running around playing if she wasn't feeling okay or eating enough to have energy to do so... you just have a small girl, as i do.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• my son is 3 and weighs 29 and has for the past 8 months.. he is SO busy and so active - but he does eat pretty well so I can see how you would worry when you are watching her not eat. I would bring it up to your Ped. or make ice cream fruit/veggie juice smoothies.. tons of vitamins and calories and kid friendly yummy
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Have your tried making milk shakes with the pedia sure?
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• well if the doc isnt concerned then i wouldnt just try you best to offer foods she will eat. eventually things will catch up she has had some surgeries so that could contribute. if she does drop in the percentiles then i would worry and want the doc to check her out a bit more closer.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If she is petite, then you shouldn't worry a bit. Some kids seem to live on air (my middle child did this for about a year), and are perfectly healthy. Besides, she is at an age where she shouldn't be gaining mass amounts of weight, but should level off. unless she has some other medical problem, I wouldn't worry at all.

BTW, my oldest is almost 10 and weighs only 57 lbs. My youngest is 3 and weighs 41. My middle child is 5 and weighs 38! They are ALL perfectly healthy, the oldest and middle are very tall and slender... The youngest is tall, and built like a brick shit house- not an ounce of fat, just big.

You should be concerned about over all health & development, not weight. As long as she is doing normal things, and is in generally good health you have nothing to worry about!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• What does her doctor say about her weight?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• :( i dont really have great advice. but i can relate, my oldest just turned 4 in october and she weighs 30 pounds. she's also 40 inches tall, so she's tall and thin. her weights in the 25th and height in the 75th, it's been this way her whole life. her doctor never says she's underweight, just that she's less than average as far as percentiles.

i would suggest the pediasure, but unfortunately she doesnt like it. not really sure what else to suggest for her. has your doctor given you any advice on how to help her gain weight?

hopefully somebody will have a good answer for you! good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• how tall is she? a friend of mine's dd is almost 3 and weights 29lbs and she's about 3ft tall but my ds is 15 months and 24lbs...he's 2 inches away from being 3ft tall....
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• my goodness im sure you have taken her to the doc if not i would my 2yo wieghts more than her at 29lbs. and is is average for her age.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Has she moved down on the percentage scale? You can't force her to eat. What about yogurt and string cheese. My kids always liked that. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2010