Should these Military Votes count?

According to Associated Press:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iwn259ngEGweDcfcSBBdjd8V1M5QD947O5T81

State Officials didn't have ballots printed and sent to local officials by the September deadline, meaning they may not have been mailed ballots overseas until October. Because of a A 1986 federal law requiring ballots to be mailed to military voters in foreign countries at least 45 days before the election, these votes, even if mailed back AS SOON as Overseas military received, may not count.

Do you think John McCain and the GOP are justified in this lawsuit?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• My absentee ballots (for Florida) never counted from overseas in 2000 or 2004. It really pissed me off but nothing was done about it then either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Absolutely. These men and women are serving our country and their votes count! I think its absolutely a valid lawsuit. What is the thought on Obama's side? Do they not want the votes of our military to count? Just curious....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• i know he's afraid of losing virginia!
    having said that, these overseas votes should definitely count!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I personally think if they DO NOT count, then the military individuals serving overseas (as well as their dependnents psc'd with them) should sue the state of Virginia and any other state that has done this. A statement NEEDS to be made to ensure this doesn't happen in the future...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I think that it is absolutly essential that all votes be counted in this election. We as a people need to know who really wins.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Why can't Obama file a lawsuit too?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Those votes should definitely count. Its shameful to think that someone could serve our country, be away from their family and friends for extended periods of time, and not have their vote count. Its not their fault that the office messed up.
    cait030507

Answer by cait030507 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Considering that we are voting for my Husband's next Commander in Chief, you bet John McCain is justified in this law suit. We are a military family stationed overseas and it pisses me off to think that even though I got my absentee ballot in early October and sent it back the next day, that it may not count. It's a slap in our military and their families faces. But, am I surprised????Nope, because if you look at past elections there has always been problems with counting overseas votes, especially those coming from the military.
    MomsMuses03

Answer by MomsMuses03 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Why can't Obama file a lawsuit too?

He could.....   But he hasn't yet...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Three things; first, I don't think it has anything to do with McCain being scared of losing Virginia. I think he finds it unfair that, as an ex-military member himself, these people are losing out on their chance to vote and be heard.

Second, as a military wife, I agree with momsmuses03. There've been problems for years with overseas votes and something needs to be done. My husband can put his life in harm's way for the sake of this country and the people in it, but his vote doesn't count? Bullsh*t.

Third, yes McCain is justified in filing a lawsuit. For as hard as he and Obama have worked to get people out this year to the polls and to make every vote count, I should think they'd both be outraged by this.
    MammaMiaMA

Answer by MammaMiaMA at 11:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2008