Is the Speech class in college totally terrifying??

I'm dreading having to take Speech but I know I'll eventually have to. Is it awful? I'm pretty darn shy in front of groups and I just can't imagine the torture.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 2:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in

• I was very shy, and terrified of taking speech. I ended up loving it....I still got nervous, but I felt really good, and built a lot of self confidence speaking in front of a group. I also learned great writing techniques, that I apply to any non-fiction that I write.

Take a deep breath, and jump in, you'll be fine.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It isn't as bad as you fear. You'll gain self-confidence, since part of being shy in front of a group is not believing in yourself. We had to give a speech a week, and I still remember some of the speeches that the others gave. You get to know the people in the class, too, so they aren't strangers after that first speech or two. I suggest that you practice your speeches several times. It really helped me. Record yourself and listen to the playback- you'll hear where you should pause or not, what words you aren't saying well, and the pacing of the speech. It is a valuable course.

Answer by Bmat at 2:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It honestly depends on YOU. I didn't find it too terrible, but then I am now a radio host so I have to speak "in front" of thousands every morning!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It was for me, but I made it through it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It does depend on you, and what class it is. I only ever had to take one and had an option so I took a small group discussion class.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yes it was for me. I guess if you can get formatting down straight away, you should be fine.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 3:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• MY SPEECH CLASS HELPED ME ALOT IM SHY BUT IN CONFIDENT NOW TO GET UP A SPEAK TO PPL WE HAD A SPEECH ALMOST EVERY WEEK
    chanchan522

Answer by chanchan522 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I didn't mind my speech class. I was nervous, sure, but they were my classmates & I knew they were going to have to do it, too. Misery does love company after all...lol
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• The first few speeches were horrible but you really get better at it. It also helps if you talk to your classmates and get to know them. Then you just feel like you are speaking in front of friends.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• OMG...it was the easiest A I ever made but then again, I have absolutely no shyness issues whatsoever.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 5:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010