What would you do about this parent teacher conference situation?

OK so today was parent teacher conference with my bonus(step) son's teacher she stated that he does not like to pay attention and fly his pencil like an airplain still, we spoke to her about this once before and hoped we could nip it in the butt with all of us working together, anyway his teacher suggested we get him looked at by his doctor for an attetntion deficate. We mentioned it to his Birth Mom and all she said is "I do not think he needs to be looked at". And that was that! We mentioned to BM that we were taking away computer and video games until we got a positive report back from his teacher for his school actions, got no reply from her on that! Gosh it is so hard to try to help raise a bright boy into a decent man when concequences do not fallow through!

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Don't let the school push its responsibilities off on you. If the teacher believes that your son's issues are severe enough to warrant an evaluation, then it is the school district's responsibility to do the evaluation. This is why district's employee school psychologists. The issue is an educational one and needs to be evaluated & addressed by educational professionals, not a medical doctor. Until all educational interventions, accomodations & supports have been tried, you shouldn't need to bother your child's doctor with this. Write a letter to the building principal of your child's school requesting that he be evaluated for special education services & that a functional behavioral assessment be completed. The first will help the district to determine if your son has a learning disability (including ADHD) & the second will help the district figure out why your son has the behaviors he does & how best to address them.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Who has custody? Dad can certainly get this taken care of.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Who has custody of the boy? If you and your hubby do then why couldn't you take him to the dr without the birth mom? I would say if the child needs help, he should get it. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• it could be a classic case of opposite personalities. maybe switch his teachers.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• WE have 50/50 we have him for 4 days one week and 3 days the next week.
    jem102675

Comment by jem102675 (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Trust me I am not the one making the rules! My husband is a tough daddy! When he puts his foot down that is it! I am just asking for opinions! I have been in this young mans life from day one and BM des ask or talk to me more then she does my husband!
    jem102675

Comment by jem102675 (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• * districts employ school psychologists

sorry for the typos
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• We went a whole year of interventions and group discussions at school before thinking of getting our dd checked by her pediatrician. It turns out she does have ADHD but we tried lots of things in and out of school before reaching for the doctor. If dad has custody though can he not go get her checked out?
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 4:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I am sure he can take him to get him checked out but he was hoping to do this together with BM to show his son we all care for him! All we want here in our home is the best for him in this situation we are in!
    jem102675

Comment by jem102675 (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• " The issue is an educational one and needs to be evaluated & addressed by educational professionals, not a medical doctor."

Actually, ADHD is a medical diagnosis, so a medical doctor is the only one qualified to make it.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 6:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2010