what's going on with my ring?

I've had my wedding band for over 3 years, my engagement ring for over 4. Over the past few days, my skin is red and irritated under my rings, to the point where I've had to take them off... What is going on?

Not.So.Virginal

Asked by Not.So.Virginal at 3:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Health

• are you pregnant? if so it could be your chemistry changing.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• could just be that it was wet underneath and did not dry or you sweat underneath mine does that sometimes. but also it could be that your ring is only gold plated rather than pure gold and as the plating wears off you have the silver or whatever metal your ring was made of which people are more likely to be allergic to
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 3:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• WoW. Interesting.. I have to ask the same as above. Pregnant? how often do you clean them? Have you been using any cleaning products that are new/more harmful??
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 3:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• haven't cleaned them in awhile (well never clean the wedding band since it's just a plain white gold band). I haven't switched to anything new cleaning wise
    Not.So.Virginal

Comment by Not.So.Virginal (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You may have a lot of acid in your system. Do you eat a lot of red sauce or tomatos? I know someone who's ears & fingers turn black when she wears real gold earings & rings. She has a very acidic diet.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• oh yeah pregnancy that is good reason!
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 3:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• That happens if I get water under my rings and don't get it dry enough. Take them off for a day or two so your fingers can "air out" and they should be good as new. :)
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I just saw this on the Drs this morning - it could be caused by the nickel that they mix with the gold. For some reason you skin can develop a reaction to it over time. Their solution was to either switch to platinum rings, or paint the inside of the ring with clear nail polish to protect your skin.

Answer by missanc at 3:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Missa, I used to wear cheap rings all the time and never had an issue.... but i guess that could be it. Or I could be pregnant... guess I'll find out
    Not.So.Virginal

Comment by Not.So.Virginal (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• (they don't make rings out of "pure gold" - that's where the 14K, 10K, etc. comes in depending on how much actual gold is mixed with the other ingredients)

Answer by missanc at 3:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2010