Weaning off the bottle?

I want to start weaning my son off his bottle I dont give him one unless he just wakes up or is going to sleep. I know it is bad but I lay him in bed with a bottle how do I stop it any ideas ladies. I used to be able to put him down with out anything but when I worked over the summer my husband started putting him to bed with the bottle. and now we are stuck. He Just turned 1

PLEASE DONT SAY CRY IT OUT IT DOSENT WORK FOR MY KIDS THEY WILL CRY FOR HOURS IF YOU LET THEM. I KNOW IT WOULD BE THE "BEST" BUT DOSENT WORK FOR US THANK YOU.

Thank you ladies

Anita

P.S Please no bashing I KNOW IT IS NOT GOOD TO PUT YOUR BABY DOWN WITH A BOTTLE

MamaAlderman_2

Asked by MamaAlderman_2 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i started giving my daughter sippy cups during the day and only giving her a bottle at nap time or bed time then the other night i gave her a sippy cup at bed time and she was fine with that good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I will try to give him the sippy at nap he has a sippy during the day just not when going to bed
    MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I had my kids throw their bottles away themselves. I told them. you are a big girl, and you don't need baby bottles anymore, throw it away! They both did, and never looked back! They were both 9 months when they gave up the bottle. I also did this with the binky.
    KGeist86

Answer by KGeist86 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• well give it a try it worked for me now if i let her get too tired she will demand the bottle so as soon as he starts rubbing his little eyes go get that cup
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I had my kids throw away their own bottles. Then we went to the store and they picked out their own sippy cups to start using. It worked for our kids. Then later when we wanted to do away with the sippy cups, we got some of those little Dixie cups so they could have a sip of water before bed. My son really liked it! Eventually, he stopped asking for anything before bed. It was a process, but it was done without any fits or crying so that was nice. Hope this was helpful! :)
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 11:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I gave her the bottle only at night at first, sippies during the day. Then, after a few days, just take the bottle away. They'll drink sippy or nothing. Might be hard for a few days, but they catch on quick.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I got some sippy cups from the store that have a soft nipple instead of a hard top. The nipples are wider and can help your little one adjust to have a cup instead of a bottle. My son now doesn't even want anything to drink when he's tired...just wants to cuddle with mommy!
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but do water int he bottles and any other drinks in sippy or reg. cup. That way the bottle isn't as appealing. Plus, if he does go to bed with the bottle, it isn't bad for the teeth since water has no sugar.
    Anonymous

• wow. i never thought about the water in the bottle idea from the one before me. wow, that sounds like a really good idea. lol.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 3:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2008