I have a 3 1/2 year old gd that spends a lot of time with us, grandma & grandpa. She will not sleep in her bed, and she will not stay in her room for time out. Is it ok to lock her bedroom door during time out (3 minutes)??

janislistening

Asked by janislistening at 3:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i wouldnt lock it, maybe just stand on the other side of the door and hold it closed.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• No. You want her room to be a happy place, not a jail. Imagine how terrifying that would be!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Wait, I'm confused, what will that do? what do you do right now when she doesn't stay in her bed or timeout?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I did put my boys in their room for time out, we didn't lock the door, but put a gate on the door. My husband actually made a special gate so that they couldn't climb over it, but couldn't get out until the timer went off.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Put her sassy booty in a chair in a corner for time outs! My thing is her bedroom is her 'fun place' and the time out chair in the corner a not so great place.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• We were worried about that too, do we bought a time out chair it didn't work for us. Our neighbors actually told us about the in the bedroom thing and we have don't it for a few weeks its working good for us. Good luck. BTW still plays and sleeps in there just fine.

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Bed time and timeout are different in our house. Bed time...the door is shut and I have the monitor on so I can hear if they get up. They have no choice...their room is their room and my bed is for my hubby and I (unless they are really sick and need us). They can't open the door because I have one of those plastic things on the knob so they can't get out. Time out or if you just want her to stay in her room for any reason....Invest in a baby gate!! The ones that are climb proof. I think we paid like $40 or $50 for ours and it swings open and closed and mounted to the door frame. I use those things daily. Great investment for the money. Our kids are 2 years old and 3 years old. Time outs...cooking dinner...if I need to shower and don't want the kids running around the house. They have gotten so used to it that when I shut it, they know it is play time for a while.
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You should really never use her bedroom as a time out. Her bedroom is a place where she sleeps. If you want to give a time out find one spot in the house and stay to the same routine. By doing this you will not be giving your child mixed signals.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• For the time out, I agree with changing the location from the bedroom since you already have issues getting her to sleep there- you want it to be a happy place. If she goes there for time out it isn't a stretch to think maybe bed time just feels like one long time out. Anyway, pick a spot that is no fun, at the end of a hallway or even in the corner- someplace where she can't see the tv or continue to be a part of the group. When she has time out, walk her to the time out spot and put her there. She will get up. Tell her "you have time out and you need to stay here until I come get you" and walk her back to the spot. If she gets up again walk her back without saying anything and keep doing that until she gets the point and stays. Then her 3 minutes start (one minute in time out per year of age). Expect to repeat many times at first but this will teach her that you are sticking to time out. Keep your cool and be (cont'd)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I don't use bedrooms as a place for timeout. I never wanted the bedroom to be associated with punishment. I used a time out chair, and taught my girls to sit in the time out chair when they were told to do so. If they got out of the chair, they got put back. As many times as it took.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 4:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010