Any tips on getting a 5 month old to sleep?

I have a 5 month old little boy who does not sleep well. On a good night he will get up every three hours to eat, it may take him 15-20 min to eat, go back to sleep and lay down. He will also wake up a 4 am and decide it is time to be up.

Latley his sleeping has gotten worse, he may take 45 min to eat, 30 min to go to sleep and get back up an hour and a half later wanting to eat again.

Does anyone have any tips or advice? I have the same bedtime routine, I have tried warming the bottle, I have tried rice/oatmeal, it seems that nothing works. What am I missing? I am ok if he doesn't sleep all night but if I could just get him to where he gets up twice a night I would be excited. I am a working mom also with a four year old and running on fumes.

Sam33181

Asked by Sam33181 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• swaddling helped us
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You're only missing this: That this is a normal sleep pattern for the age. He will sleep longer on his own when he's ready. Often the things we try merely upset the applecart.

Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution." And give yourself permission to let some things go so you can get a little downtime when you're home.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You are doing a great job, and try not to get overwhelmed, babies react to how the parents feel. Continue to keep your routine consistent. You may need to ask your pediatrician if you should change the type of formula he is on, when my son was a baby he always cried and never slept. He was lactose intolerant. Sometimes there might be too much sugars in the rice or formula, this may also keep him awake? If your breast feeding, it might be the diet your on, it is important that your five month old get adequate nutrition.

Cyndi2Clean4U

Answer by Cyndi2Clean4U at 4:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I wish that I could waive a magic wand for you. Some babies sleep through the night and some do not. The only advice I can say is that is it that the baby wakes because their hungry or need a change, Normally it starts to get better around this time that they sleep through the night but sometimes that isn't the case, Could your baby be teething? what the rountine for bed, are they tired? Some of the questions you might want to think about first, and then help pin point the issue, and then figuring out the possible reason.
    I know that with my son we made sure he had all comforts, He been fed, changed etc. And then we ended up letting him cry for 10 minutes, came in soothed him then left the room, if he started to cry again we would let him. It takes time to get an understanding on the cause, Hang in there!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2010