Does it bug you when people spend beyond their means and b*tch about their bills?

I have always kept a close eye on our finances and have never spent more than what we had coming in. This was way before the economy sucked for everyone. DH has always worked in the construction field where there were always layoffs and you never knew when the next job would be. We always kept our spending under control and were "frugal/cheap" long before it became the thing to do. It bugs me when people complain they can't pay their bills but refuse to give anything up in their lives. They still take vacations, dine out and have expensive hobbies.

tony1638

Asked by tony1638 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Like you wouldn't believe! I have a lot of friends barely making the mortgage or buying groceries but are shopping non stop. I can't stand it because the responisbile citizens have to bail them out. GRRR
    maybaby22

Answer by maybaby22 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• ditto. I have a friend who doesn't have enough money to buy her son new shoes but she has enough to go to the beauty salon once a week.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 4:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• yes we wont have another baby due to finances but i have a friend living off welfare and is pregnant with her 3rd "accident baby" it makes me mad if we were to have another baby ( I want one sooo bad i even dream about it) we would have serious consequencesbut this person get will only get more money.recently we saved to buy our son a really expensive stroller it was around 300 dollars and we saved for a long time guess who else got one? it irritates the crap outta me
    Wakarimasen

Answer by Wakarimasen at 4:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I agree ladies I know this ladies who is very frugal with her money she must have thousands in the bank bc she doesn't believe in spending her money on expensive stuff so there fore she lives up high on the mountains and lives in a tralier with her husband and they are happy...all I know is somebody (I believe it will be her grandkids) are going to have some money coming their way when she is gone.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I figure it's their problem - seems a whole percentage of ppl do that.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It is annoying! I don't care what other people spend their money on, but don't tell me that you don't have money to buy your son any Christmas presents in one breath and in the next tell me that you are going on a week long cruise (true life story). I would feel sorry for this person if they were really working hard at trying to make it, but going on a week cruise that isn't free over buying your child Christmas presents just isn't right. And whining to other people about it is annoying.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I find it very offensive when family members try to live beyond their means and then come to us to bail them out. We are a family of 4 living on one income and we have my SIL who has no kids at home and both her and her husband work yet she still asks for money. My MIL too and it's just her (and we already pay her house payment every month). Yet both insist on having huge gas sucking trucks for vehicles and my SIL and her husband both smoke like crazy.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• yes i hate when people do that
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 5:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think people don't know how to "cut back". If you are used to living a certain way...but it is important to always know your current finances and live within your means.
    FinancialMomma

Answer by FinancialMomma at 5:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I do not like it...but it is their business.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2010