What to do if you deliver your baby somewhere becides the hospital? (not planned)

My labor with my daughter was 8 hours...my labor with my son was 2 hours from start the finish. They say it gets faster with each one...and I'm expecting #3 any day now. We live 30 minutes from the hospital and my mom suggested I find out what to do if we end up having the baby in the house or the car on the way. What do you do? I know call 911. But what else? Do you cut the cord? This of course is not something I want to do....just curious though just incase.

kristinashley24

Asked by kristinashley24 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Look into it! Ask your doctor! I am sure call 911 and get an ambulance to you

jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• 911 will tell you exactly what to do.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• 911 will walk you through it...
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Don't cut the cord. You risk infection that way. It will stop pulsing on it's own, and it's fine if you wait to cut it at the hospital. Bring a clean large bowl in case you have to put the placenta in it. Bring lots of old towels and blankets. Keep the baby on you, under a blanket, until an ambulance arrives. When it comes to pushing, laying on your back can slow things down. You can squat or be on all fours to let gravity help if you're already stopped somewhere. Your SO can help guide the head and massage your perineum to help it stretch and prevent tearing.
    I hope you never need this info! =) Leave as soon as you think you're in labor. Lots of luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• great answer musicpisces!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• A homebirth is very safe! And most precipitous births are uneventful. Read up on Emergency Childbirth. I had an unexpected unassisted birth with my 6th baby. My husband caught. Don't panic! Trust your body! Don't do Anything. Leave baby attached to the cord and wait for the placenta to come out before you tie and cut it. Do call 911 but know that you can be tended to at home by the EMTs and you DO NOT have to transport to the hospital if you are both ok.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 6:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i disagree with on the fact that home pregnancies are very safe. They can be, but ive heard tons of cases where the placenta rips or doesnt come out... either way, call 911 immideiatly so they can get you and your baby checked out immidiately to make sure everythign is ok. More than liekly you wont have a unexpected birth.
    Erzy

Answer by Erzy at 8:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If you don't make it in time just don't cut the cord even if you do end up delivering the afterbirth before you arrive too. My mom had 4 and her last one was very fast but they still made it to the hospital. Just leave earlier than you think you need to and try not to freak about not making it. Besides, Husbands are able to suddenly make that drive in time warp speed when you go into delivery!! LOL.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 1:10 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I found this for you!

Emergency Childbirth Reference Guide
    U.S. Department of Defense

Emergency Childbirth - A Reference Guide for Students - Medical Self-Help Training
    Course Lesson No. 11
    Emergency Childbirth What To Do
    1. Let nature be your best helper. Childbirth is a very natural act.
    2. At first signs of labor assign the best qualified person to remain with
    mother.
    3. Be calm; reassure mother.
    4. Place mother and attendant in the most protected place in the shelter.
    5. Keep children and others away.
    6. Keep hands as clean as possible
    7. Keep hands away from birth canal
    8. See the baby breathes well.
    9. Place the baby face down across the mother's abdomen.
    10. Keep baby warm.
    11. Wrap afterbirth with baby.
    12. Keep baby with mother constantly.
    13. Make mother as comfortable as possible.
    14. Identify baby.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• con't.....

What Not To Do
    1. DO NOT hurry.
    2. DO NOT pull on baby, let baby be born naturally.
    3. DO NOT pull on the cord, let the placenta (afterbirth) come naturally.
    4. DO NOT cut and tie the cord until the baby AND the afterbirth have been
    delivered.
    5. DO NOT give medication.
    DO NOT HURRY - LET NATURE TAKE HER COURSE.
    {emphasis is not mine - I copied this exactly as written}

and for the record, research has proven Home births to be very safe for low risk women. Horror stories abound in both hospital and home births and unfortunately those are the ones that we remember.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:22 AM on Nov. 20, 2010