Do you make your own baby food?

I make all my own baby food for my son, but I worry sometimes that what he is getting is repetitive. He seems to love it though and it doesn't take that much effort. I just hope he is getting enough variety because whenI go down the baby food aisle at the grocery store, I noticed how many different combinations and textures they have.

tarakenyon06

Asked by tarakenyon06 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can combine and make different textures with homemade too.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 4:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I did make our own! I liked to get the canned fruit and mash that in the grinder! They loved that!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• So copy the baby food jars...if they mix apples & bananas, do the same. Have fun w/it!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yes,I did. Much cheaper!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It is much cheaper and I love doing it - I think I will make it a habit though to look at the baby food aisle more often so I can copy their recipes
    tarakenyon06

Comment by tarakenyon06 (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I made a good portion of my baby's food. You can always find different baby recipes online...
    I had a great book about baby food that was from the store "Williams and Sonoma". Great recipes and a good variety!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 4:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i loved making my own babyfood! www.wholesomebabyfoods.com and www.weelicious.com are great websites for recipe ideas. A resourceful book I recommend which I still use for my toddler, is "Super Babyfood". Once your child has passed the 3-4 day rule between new foods you can combine them! DS loved pear and sweet potatoes
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It is much cheaper, sometime babies don't receive the right nutrition though, (for example, try not cooking carrots and other vegetables all the way down before you process it in a blender, to keep its nutrients; also adding spinach leaves to cooked potatoes is an added vitamin treat). Make sure the food is organic and doesn't come from a can. Food from a can contains harmful ingredients like led or mercury.

Cyndi2Clean4U

Answer by Cyndi2Clean4U at 4:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Don't worry about it being repetitive...babies tastebuds aren't really fully developed till after they are about 12 months old and then still.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 4:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I was originally going to, until I realized that even making baby food was a ridiculous notion. If you want until babies are old enough to start solids (at least 6 months) they have the ability to hand-feed themselves food at that point. Baby food purees aren't necessary and the whole idea is just leftover from the 50's and 60's where they started scheduling breastfeeding sessions, which made milk supplies drop, so they introduced formula which was poor at the time and to make up for the lack of nutrition, they'd introduce purees to infants 2 weeks to 2 months old. They obviously can't chew, so they'd bypass their forward gag reflex by putting liquid food in their mouths.
    Anyway, look up "Baby Led Weaning" or "Baby Led Solids" and read up. Babies have taste buds before they're born, and there's no reason they can't share food with the family! Baby food is unnecessary work and doesn't teach babies good eating habits. :) HTH!
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 6:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2010