Does she have to give her Social Security Number

This is a question from my daughter... Her X (they were not married) the father (I use that term lightly) of her daughter insists that he needs there daughters SS # He says he needs it to "look for health insurance and many other things" those were his words. She received a letter from his attorney saying he needed us to give it to him so he can get my granddaughter on Medicad..NOT !! I know for a fact that he cant get Medicade for her because the child has to live with the applicant..... So does anyone have have a answer to this question.. Is my daughter obligated to give up her daughters SS #.. I say Noo

JamiesMom08

Asked by JamiesMom08 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Relationships

• Tell him to get a court order.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• agreed with PP he doesnt need it for that he prob wants to f**k up her credit
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 11:16 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• He is not the most honest person. Also he can go down to vital records like some else said in another posting and gt it him self.
    JamiesMom08

Answer by JamiesMom08 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Your daughter is not obligated to give up her daughters social security number. He don't have sole custody of her so you absolutely don't have to give up her social. If your granddaughter needs Medicaid, healthcare, or whatever then her mother should be able to get those things for her, and maybe even for free. He probably wants to use her social to put things in her names or when tax time comes use her as a dependent. DON'T GIVE UP THE SOCIAL UNLESS YOU ARE ORDERED BY THE COURT!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• that right!! im gald that u said no to him!!!! cheer for mom!!! let party time.!!
    whoishotmama

Answer by whoishotmama at 11:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• DO NOT GIVE IT TO HIM!!!!!THE PRIMARY CUSTODIAN IS THE ONLY PERSON WHO TRUELY NEEDS IT! HE WILL SURELY USE IT AGAINST HER... TAXES....
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:47 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I wouldnt give it to him cuz there is no telling what he might really do with it from messing her credit up to anything. if his lawyer really needs it then he'll take it to court or bring u paper for it how do u know its really his lawyer
    blueeyed4505

Answer by blueeyed4505 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I say no!he could want it for many different reasons and i wouldnt chance it!With that he could try to get full custody or claim her on taxes or many different things like that!so tell your daughter to not give it to him unless a judge tells her she has to!and knowing men he wont go through that much trouble!!
    mommydabbs

Answer by mommydabbs at 12:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• The attorney should know that the dad can get it from SS by requesting it. No. I wouldn't give it to him. My grandson's dad keeps asking for his or many reasons, none that matter to us. We figure it's to file him on his taxes and get the credit so we won't give it to him. I agree with the woman who said make them get a court order for it.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My father-in-law wanted my sister-in-law's so he could claim her on his taxes, even when it wasn't his turn. I wouldn't give it to him!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2008