Does he have to give him her SS # number ???

This is a question from my daughter... Her X (they were not married) the father (I use that term lightly) of her daughter insists that he needs there daughters SS # He says he needs it to "look for health insurance and many other things" those were his words. She received a letter from his attorney saying he needed us to give it to him so he can get my granddaughter on Medicad..NOT !! I know for a fact that he cant get Medicade for her because the child has to live with the applicant..... So does anyone have have a answer to this question.. Is my daughter obligated to give up her daughters SS #.. I say Noo

JamiesMom08

Asked by JamiesMom08 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• No, don't let her give it to him.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 11:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I wouldn't do it unless I had legal advice from my own side. His attorney sounds like he has his head up his butt if he thinks you guys don't know about the proper ways Medicaid works. His attorney would know that she would have to live with the applicant. Also, if he was just looking for health coverage he could do that withour the SS#, and wouldn't need it till actually applying for the coverage. There is such a huge problem with child identity theft anymore, I would not just hand it over to him.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• She does not have to give it to him. If the daughter is not living with him full time, he cannot seek Medicaid benefits for her anyhow. There's something fishy going on there. She needs to speak with her own attorney about this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Do they have JOINT LEGAL CUSTODY? If so YES, and anyway if he wanted to because he is the little girls father he can go to the the vital records place where ever you live and get his OWN copy. He is her father, if he is really trying to do the right thing, give him a break. I am speaking from a stepmom's point of view. Being in this situation is NOT fun, I have been there and communications is best for the daughter's sake. Her parents need to be adults and get along for her sake. Ego's and pasts need to be set aside for HER future.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:09 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• There are some situations where she has to, but if she feels funny about it, then she shouldn't do it until she has the opportunity to explain the situation to an attorney and get his/her advice.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:12 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I agree that it would depend on the custody agreement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• He could not give anyother reason why he needs it.. Yes I do think it is very fishy.. And MamaRoberts ther are not final orders. Everythig now is just "tomporary". He is very dishonest and want to slime his way back into my daughters life... I do understand if he is trying to do the right thing and like you said he can go down to vital records and get it himself.. The two my daughter and him have been trying to get along.. But whenever my daughter steps up to him he calls her a phyco bitch.. hummm.. not very nice to me......
    I just feel that she will not have to give it to him unless our attorney says you "have" to give it to him. I will tell her to talk to her attorney...
    JamiesMom08

Answer by JamiesMom08 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• If they were never married and there was never a custody battle that gave them joint custody then no. There is no reason he should need it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I've given my daughter's father her SS# because in our custody agreement he can claim her on his taxes every other year and he needs it for that. He also has a copy of her birth certificate but he went down to vital statistics and got that for himself. The thing is is that while I may have some issues with him he is a trustworthy person and I know he wouldn't use the information for his own personal gain. I agree, if it seems fishy I would put off giving it to the dad, too. There are a lot of men who are responsible and caring parents but there are also alot of men (and women) who are selfish and don't care if they hurt their own children.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Talk to a lawyer. If his attorney says so, and he's the one contacting you, then you'd need to check the legal side of it.

Off hand, I can only think you'd need the SSN for health care, bank accounts, and tax returns (dependends)
    Anonymous