Help with pad trainng new puppy?

We just got a 2 month old Chihuahua mix and he'd just as soon play or sleep on his pee pad. Any suggestions? We put him on it constantly and don't believe in crating.

Mrsvixen69

Asked by Mrsvixen69 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Pets

• Ok this is a very constant thing you must show him what belong there . Like if he pees wipe it up with the pad so he can smells that it belong there. Correct him by taking him to the pad if you see him going. DON'T hit him for something he is not in the act of doing cause he know not what it is for. When he does go on the pad praise him . Not a dog expert but it worked for my doggy.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 4:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Do you not want to train it to go inside, instead? I've always only used the puppy pads at night, whenever my puppy was contained in the kitchen... But during the day, I would just take him outside every 15 minutes or so, and tell him to "go pee". Whenever he did, I'd praise him like he just invented the cure for cancer, heh. But at night, he'd always use the pads, never really had to teach him, sorry....

Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I meant to say "go OUTside", not inside...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Get rid of the puppy pads All they accomplish is confusing the dog. The dog willhave accidents in the house for the rest of it's life because the puppy pads teach dogs to go in the house. Get a crate and crate train the puppy. The crate helps housebreak dogs pretty fast depending on the dog of course.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My chi yorkie can't go outside when it's cold. They don't handle cold well at all. So I use a litter box and a pheromone spray to show him where to go.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• yep crate training is the best and easiest. why do you not "believe" in it?
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 5:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Trying to train your chihuahua without using a crate is the worst thing you can do. And crate training has other benefits too, like keeping your house from being a giant chew, keeping your puppy from exploratory surgery for eating something they can't pass like a silk sock. Are you going to sit with your eyes on your dog 24 hours? Yes? Great! (And enter separation and anxiety problems.) And if your dog ever needs any medical attention in its life, they will use a cage. A dog that has never been crated will be extremely stressed and freak out, you don't want that to happen, especially when/if your dog is sick. If you ever have to board your dog in a kennel, take it on an airplane... well same story. Please reconsider.

You have a more difficult breeds to housetrain. Second pad training is often more work than outdoor training, but can be done when the crate is the bed. You need to place the dog on the pads and reward often.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I've always thought it was cruel to put them in a crate/cage as we think of our furbabies are our babies and we wouldn't put our children in such.
    I've been doing much more reading and have read that they actually like it though, so we're going to look for one in the next day or so.

You'd think after already having several dogs, I'd be aware of this, but I guess this is the youngest puppy we've had and we were lucky to have older dogs that were already trained before.

No, I don't prefer them to go outside but would rather paper AND outside as my four year old dog does. We got six inches of snow in the last couple of days, and Dexter would freeze if we took him out :(
    Mrsvixen69

Comment by Mrsvixen69 (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• So now the question is, how big of a crate? He's only 2.14 lbs and will only get to maybe 10
    Mrsvixen69

Comment by Mrsvixen69 (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• He should only be able to stand up, turn around and lay down. If the crate is to big then the puppy will go to the bathroom in it. Don't get a crate that he can grow into.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2010