when you foster to adopt?

i know it sounds selfish but i was wondering if you can choose to have only adoptable children in your home if you foster so that you can try to adopt them and not go through all the extra heartbreak

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 4:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Adoption

• I would think it would depend on your state, but as far as I know here in Oklahoma it isn't an option.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i only ask because we are looking into diff types of adoption and i have been hearing that this is a hard way to do it...
    jaksonsmommy

Comment by jaksonsmommy (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yep..well sorta...low risk if you want them from newborn. It takes a while to get parental rights removed even if the mom walks from the hospital. If a child isn't in a good fost/ adopt concurrent placement home, the Judge may not want to terminate the birth families rights and have and child connected to no one and waiting.

I fostered 35 placements and held newborns for families wanting the for sure deals and they would wait maybe 4 months for the adoption placement and that's when they took the child into their home. I often would have them be my respite family and they would start the bonding as babysitter...but be careful, the foster parent could show a bonded relationship with that baby (more than 4 months) and the judge will go with that over a family playing it safe.

I say jump in and pick up lots of babies from the hospital as a foster parent. I was offered about 1/4 of my placements to adopt.

surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 6:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think foster care (like so much in adoption) varys dramatically from state to state. There are some states where is it pratically impossible to do what you are asking and others where it is much more common. Go on the adoption website that lists all the states and available children and look up your state. You can get a good idea from that.
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 12:20 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I DK but good luck.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2010