Should faith based programs get to keep faith based hiring practices and still participate in gov't programs?

Apparently people still don't like it, even when Obama does it instead of Bush...

http://www.newsok.com/critics-blast-obama-on-faith-based-hiring-rules/article/feed/214713

"

WASHINGTON (RNS) A day after ordering a host of changes to the White House's faith-based office, President Obama is facing mounting criticism for keeping in place Bush-era policies that allow faith-based social service providers to hire and fire based on religion"

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sure.

Federal grant dollars that those organizations recieve aren't the only sources of income nonprofits have, and in many cases, may only be a tiny portion of the work that they do.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Well, here's one case where I do NOT agree with Obama. I don't think any organization that receives federal grants should be allowed to discriminate based on religion, period. No matter how little that federal grant may be.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I have no problem with it. They do good work why disrupt it?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Me too Anouck. I don't think an organization that recieves federal funds should discriminate period. I say cut them off otherwise there is a mixed message of putting up with discrimination.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I agree, Anouck.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 5:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Telling a religious group who they can hire interferes with their freedom of religion. The faith based groups I am thinking of receive much more than govt grants..they get lots of donations. The work they do/services they provide help people on many different levels.

If the govt starts dictating hiring pracitices the groups will simply stop taking grants and the good they do will be limited.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Wouldn't it make an organization a more rounded, better adjusted entity if they DID hire people of other beliefs? Why not show TRUE fellowship by stepping outside their box and reach out to ALL humans rather than JUST their own kind.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Nobody is telling a religious group who they can hire... If they want to discriminate, that's up to them. But NOT when there's federal money involved.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• yes, they should. If it's a BFOQ. Why would someone want to work at a faith based organization if they weren't of that faith anyway? I think, like many other things, that we've gone overboard on political correctness. I get the arguement that it's our tax dollars and we aren't all of the same faith, but what about programs that recieve government funds that Christians or people of other faiths don't agree with? I wouldn't go apply for a job in those organizations. Same kind of thing.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Why would someone want to work at a faith based organization if they weren't of that faith anyway?

Because they're out of work and there's 10%+ unemployment in most of the country. Or, as the guy in the article puts it:
    ""In my experience, a Baptist does not ladle out rice in a soup kitchen differently than does a Buddhist,"

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2010