How can I get my children to get along a little better?

I have 2 children of my own- 4 and 2- and my baby sister also lives with us- she's 3 and moved in with us 5 months ago. The two older kids drive me crazy! They never stop fighting and hitting each other, biting, pulling hair etc..
They have been doing this for over a month now, they used to be so good! Nothing's changed at home, they don't go to school yet so they're with me or DH or my grandparents all day, just like always..
They're too young to "ground" and I don't like yelling, talking and time-outs don't work. They are also teaching the 2-yr-old to act the same.
What can I do?

Thanks!

angentinianmom

Asked by angentinianmom at 4:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• um...that's kind of tough! kids at their age do like to start picking fights...maybe u should have them watch a fun movie together.
    RenoasMAMA

Answer by RenoasMAMA at 5:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Have them do more proactive things together. Like crafts or small chores. Give them each on special thing to do that will make it all come together. If they cant work together then they will just be fighting all the time. ITs normal to fight but you need to draw the line at some point. Its gotta be hell for you lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I always try reverse psychology on them! I tell them I gave birth to them to be each others best friends! It works at times but our kids do not fight roughly on a regular basis!

jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 5:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Thanks, I have been trying to give them activities to do together like arts, washing the dog (that one was actually fun!!) etc.. But I guess I could give the movie thing another go! having 3 kids that close in age can be really tough lol!
    angentinianmom

Comment by angentinianmom (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• A friend of mine has a kindness chart in her house. The kids get points or stickers for doing kind things that are on the chart. Then after a week or two they have a treat like going out for ice cream, a special meal, a day trip to the park, etc. Just one idea...........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Thanks elizabr! That's a great idea!
    angentinianmom

Comment by angentinianmom (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I like elizabr's idea too. If they are fighting over something, take it away from both of them. Never, ever referee their fights. Discipline them both just for fighting.
    The number one rule in my house is no fighting, and you talk to each other with respect; no name calling. I believe that home should be a safe place and not a place where you're worried about being attacked physically or verbally. It's one of the few rules I have.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2010