anyone teaching their kid more than one language right now?

my 2yr old kid is part white and part cambodian. i'm trying to teach her how to speak both language. my bf says i should try and speak more english caus he dont want to confuse her to much, but i say she'll learn it anyways when she starts school plus its a good time to teach her more than just english. i know both language and grew up speaking both and had no problems. does anyone else teaching their kid more than just english?

RenoasMAMA

Asked by RenoasMAMA at 4:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids as children learned to speak Spanish first, when they went to school they did not speak English at all, it took them two weeks to learn English but the Spanish I taught them they never forgot.

Answer by older at 5:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. When my child was a baby I only spoke to her in Greek and her dad only in Spanish. Both languages are her mother languages. She went to preschool when she was 3 and it only took a couple of days to get going in English.
    Of course, we are Americans so she heard English on TV, out of the house or when her dads parents visited (they only speak English), when friends visited etc..
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 5:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My son's are bilingual. English/Spanish. My husband is from Argentina so he only speaks spanish to them. I speak english to them. My 4 yr old is fluent in both. My 1 yr old so far seems to understand spanish. He's only spoken in english so far though. But I expect he will be fluent as well.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• my daughter speaks and understands both english and spanish. it wasn;t on purpose its just that my parents speak it and i have to her since she was born but she is ok with both. the doctor said at her last visit that they might get a little confused but i am not too worried because everyone in my family spoke both or at least understood both fluently.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I am teaching him sign language and spanish right now.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My daughter's both speak English/Spanish. My 5 year old was primarily an English speaker, but after living in Mexico for 6 months, she's picked up so much of the language, more than I have I can admit! I don't know if I'd go so far as to call her fluent, but she can carry on a conversation with anyone, anywhere. My 17 month old has words in both languages, and understands both languages when asked to do something or given directions.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• wow lots of great answers!!! i'm so proud of all you moms making that effort to teach and maintain your native language with your children and nice to hear that they can easily pick up english. i gave u all a thumbs up!!!
    RenoasMAMA

Comment by RenoasMAMA (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Nov. 22, 2010