Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps


so my baby daddy walked out on me n our newborn daughter when she was only 2 days old, he dosent come around to see her or try to be around but when we talk over the phone i tell him he wont have a right to see my daughter later if he feels like it since im doing everything for her n he threatens to come pick her up to take her to his house which he lives w a family of his own, but hes all talk he dosent bother at all. i told him im going to file for full custody n he laughted n said if n e thing we'll get 50/50 but i dnt see why? is that possible? how n for what reasons am i able to get full custody? btw he dosent give me money at all he says thats all i ever wanted from him, so he dosent even buy the baby her needs. he did however buy the baby a crib when i was pregnant n thats about the only thing hes able to throw in my face

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Answers (6)
  • i hate to break it to you. but he can. unless the baby is endanger or he is a druggie or alcholic or something like that. i am know what you are going through . mine is another state and the minute i went for support he threatened to go to court and mine is 20months. so you know what go to court. you make sure if anything you stick by what you say unlike these so called men that think they will scare us by saying these empty threates. its for the kids. btw he stil hasn;t paid child support and has lost his license twice. do it. don;t just talk about it. just do it. she does need a father. no matter what. just do it for peace of mine. you can get physical custody and legal custody with him gettint visitations and sometimes you can ask for no overnights if they are infants. how old is your child? are you nursing? speak with a lawyer. good luck!

    Answer by lambdarose at 5:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • All the above mentioned is true but if he NOT called or seen your child in over 6m you CAN file for abandonment...and receive full custody then.
    This however can vary from state to state, so check-up on that first.
    In the state of WI it is 6 months.
    Many times you can get some free legal advice from lawyers (usaually one or two questions answered or a 1/2hr) if you
    look in the phone book and search under divorce attorneys/family practice and ask them if they can offer you some legal counsel.
    Good Luck...he sounds like a my ex!

    Answer by Missikat75 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • good reason to have a husband instead of a "baby daddy"

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • it's unlikely it will go 50/50 in cases where you can't come to mutual agreements on raising the child. It's more likely to go 49/51.. in otherwords.. one will have custody and the other visitation, and in most cases the mother gets custody.

    Now if you want him to not have ANY custody rights, well that probably won't happen.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • stop calling him.
    Is he on the B.C.? then most likely, depending on the state, he has 50/50 LEGAL (this has NOTHING to do with residential or visitation etc. -- they are kinda separate).
    How custody is viewed in the case of unmarried parents depends on the state.... you have to look up for your area. Secondly, if you go for Child support (which you can) then in most states that WOULD establish paternity and give him 50/50 - legal.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

  • Here in OH, they tend to side with the mother especially when the child is so young. Does he pay child support...cause if you go to court, they will order him to pay. He may get standard visitation...if he bothers to show up...but that is about it.

    Answer by salexander at 10:23 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.