Big/Large babies can make for more complicated deliveries right??

Im just curious. When I was at my appt Wed the doc seemed a little surprised that the baby was large. I dont know if thats bad or not. LOL. Im assuming cause I'm 17 weeks and maybe they were off on estimating time of birth. ?? I dunno. the father is 6ft 2 and from what his mom said was a pretty good size baby. I was 6 pounds 5 ounces I believe and im only 5ft 8... could that have anything to do with it?? just curious. not to to worried (yet)

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 5:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Honestly...it REALLY depends on your provider. Large babies RARELY pose an issue for midwives who are accustomed to putting women in birthing positions that are helpful to the birthing experience while many doctors will have a women laying on her back with feet in the stir ups for delivery which has been scientifically PROVEN to make the pelvis smaller and therefore make delivery more difficult.

I wouldn't pay much mind to the size of the baby at 17 weeks. Due dates are guessing and ultra sounds can be off by up to 2 pounds! That's a pretty big difference when you're talking about such a tiny human.

Educate yourself NOW BEFORE you get in the delivery room if you think you might have a large baby. Know what positions help and which do not. Know your doctor's c-section rate. Many doctors will rush a mother into a c-section for having a "big baby" without even trying different postions first.

EDUCATION IS KEY!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If you're 17 weeks I wouldn't pay too much attention to the estimated size of the baby yet- that can change over the next few months, and can vary by as much as two pounds. DD1 was a little on the large side early on, then her growth kind of leveled out and she was born just under 7 pounds :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My son was born 8lbs 13ounces...big I guess, and I don't know if parents sizes have anything to do with it. I'm 5'7 and dads 5'8...so we're not super tall or anything. We just had a healthy baby that we were able to take home the next day.

I did have to have the vacuum used and get cut twice, but that's probably because I was super tired from pushing. All of the doctors were in aww of how healthy he was because I guess there had been a lot of low weight babies born.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• WOW.. older.. cudo's to ur mother! :-)
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• The most important thing you need to remember is that SIZE does not matter as much as POSITION! Your body will grow the perfect baby and your body was made to birth that baby.
    Many women give birth to "large" babies every single day! And MANY of those are born at HOME and without the use of forceps or vacuums.
    Baby's heads mold to fit through your pelvis and your pelvis will open to accommodate your baby passing through. During your last trimester your body produces a hormone called Relaxin that helps to loosen the joints in your pelvis to help with the delivery.
    Another thing you need to know is that the most upright you are during labor and especially during pushing, the more your pelvis can open and the easier it will be to push our your baby!
    You might want to consider hiring a Doula!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 6:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It can be a big problem. My youngest was too big and my doc wouldn't do a c-section...she was at 28% already. I had Tricare the military insurance and I had no other doctor options. I was in labor for 3.5 days and had multiple complications. It took me a yr to recover. Don't worry though, your doctor will probably do a c-section if needed.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yeah big babies are harder to deliver, but it has nothing to do with the parents size, my mom is less than 5' and delivered an 11 pound boy......

Answer by older at 5:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If this is your first, a large baby can indeed make for a tight squeeze.
    Forceps can be used to help manipulate the baby out...along with the use of
    the ob's hands.
    The size of the parents does matter because of genetics.
    It doesn't always mean a long delivery though.
    My first child took only 45min to deliver.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 5:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2010