When do you stop taking your little boy into the public bathroom with you and let him go in on his own or wait for you outside the restrooms?

Jonell1120

Asked by Jonell1120 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 5, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I always have him go with me if I'm the one using the bathroom but he on the other hand doesn't like going in the girls bathroom, he is 4, so I wait outside the men's and have to yell in the door when he is taking too long. Guy's look at me crazy but he I still want to give him independence without being in danger. It's really a comfort thing on your part but it saves the public disagreement for me when I try to take him to the women's.
    brimarie8

Answer by brimarie8 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Mine is 3 and he is still with me. I think the YMCA we used to go to said boys over 9 were not allowed with their mothers in the dressing rooms.

He goes into the men's room with Daddy only, and when he is with me, we go into the women's.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• 21!!! I'll never forget the story years ago about a father who let his little girl go in the restroom alone. After a while he asked another female to see if she was ok and she found her dead in a stall. I will never leave my child or trust someone else.
    Anonymous

• I'd say it depends on where you are. If it was at a local park, I would let them go in around 4.... our parks are not crowded and there's usually no one in the bathrooms. If we were in a crowded place, not until they were a little older. And I STILL wait outside for them!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My son just rurned 5 and he has been going in the men's restroom since he was three. I usually stand outside the dorr and wait. He got tired of going into the women's when he was 2 but I made him wait until he turned 3 to go by himself.
    mikki1972

Answer by mikki1972 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• i let my daughter go by herself since i have a son but every few seconds i stick my head in the door and go "hey, you okay?" and heaven help her if she doesn't answer. that's the way it is. my son comes wiht me, stands on the other side of hte stall and sings his abc's. do we look stupid? oh yeah. but my kids are safe.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 5:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My son is 6 and he still goes in restrooms with me unless it's a "one bathroom" only restroom and I'm standing guard at the door. There are too many stories (REAL stories) of children being molested in a bathroom with a parent standing just outside the door to mess around with it. My son goes in the stall on his own, but my son is with his father, grandfather or uncle, he's stuck with the ladies. I don't know the right age- but I know for us, we haven't hit it yet.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• MY SON IS ALMOST 6 AND HAS BEEN GOIN INTO THE MENS ROOM BY HIMSELF SINCE HE WAS 4 BUT I ALWAYS ANNOUNCE THAT HE IS GOIN IN AND THAT I WILL GO IN AFTER HIM IF I FEEL THAT HE IS TAKIN TOO LONG. YEA I GETT DIRTY LOOKS FROM GUYS AND THEN SOME JUST RUSH OUT. BUT ALL THE OTHER MOM COMMEND ME ON HAVIN THE COURAGE TO DO WAHT I DO FOR THE SAFTY OF MY SON. I THINK THAT I WILL STILL BE DOIN IT WHEN HE IS 10 YRS OLD. AND I DONT CARE IF IT EMBARESSES HIM. ITS FOR HIS OWN GOOD. U NEVER KNOW WHO IS IN THAT BATHROOM WHEN UR KIDS GO IN THERE.
    BABYSMOMMA530

Answer by BABYSMOMMA530 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• These days we have Family restrooms. Take a walkie talkie with him. breaker breaker one nine you done with your pottie time. get the guys laughing but keep them occupied on themselves and not your kid.
    GoldieLocks18

Answer by GoldieLocks18 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My son is eight and he goes in with me if it is crowded. If it is not crowded he goes into the mens room but I stand right next to the door and yell for him every thirty seconds or so. He finds it totally embarassing but I figure better safe than sorry. Last trip to walmart I yelled into the bathroom,"Son, what the heck is taking so long?" This adult guy yells back,"Sorry Mom, just washing my hands." I hear my son tell the guy,"Your Mom is out there too?"
    LuvNMyBbs

Answer by LuvNMyBbs at 12:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2008