What are some uses for baking soda ?

I use it to keep food fresh in my fridge but what other things do you use it for?

kim0167

Asked by kim0167 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can also add 1/4 cup to a glass coffee pot with some ice and swirl it around to clean the inside of the pot when it gets scummy. I use it to freshen laundry. And to clean my washer.- run a hot cycle add one box of baking soda and a small bottle of white vinegar, run the wash though. I also sprinkle it on carpet to freshen it.- sprinkle on carpet, let sit for 15-30 minutes and vacuum.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Use Baking Soda to:
    1. Exfoliate skin. Wash your face, then apply a soft paste made of three parts baking soda and one part water. Massage gently with a circular motion, avoiding the eye area; rinse clean.

2. Erase crayon, pencil, ink, and furniture scuffs from painted surfaces. Sprinkle soda on a damp sponge, rub clean, and rinse.

3. Unclog a drain. Pour 1/2 to 1 cup of baking soda down the drain, then slowly pour 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar after it. Let sit for five minutes (covered, if possible). Follow with a gallon of boiling water.

4. Remove tough stains from enameled cast iron and stainless steel. Scrub enameled cast iron with a soft nylon brush and a thick paste of baking soda and water. Clean stainless steel with a soft cloth and 4 tablespoons of baking soda dissolved in 1 quart of water. Wipe dry with a clean cloth.

5. Scrub pans. Sprinkle soda on crusted casseroles and roasting pans and let sit for 15 m
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 5:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It's a great cleaner, skin softener, tooth "paste"...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• cleaning,freshen cat box,facial scrub

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• sprinkle on mattress let sit for 1/2 hour and vacuum, use in place of cleanser

mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 10:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2010