If you know you can't afford gifts at Christmas for your kids, why don't you try to put money aside through out the year or buy during sales or when items are on clearance?

It is not like Christmas is sprung on us every year. It happens every year and every year their are people on here seemingly shocked that they can't afford gifts. Why not try to make extra money during the summer or pick up items through out the year so that when it is Christmas you don't need to magically come up with such and such an amount of money to buy things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Holidays

• I just told that same thing to my worker today there are 364 days before the next Christams to buy gifts and she said if people are that hard up they shouldn't have cell phones, internet or cable either
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Because some people have emergencies they have to spend their savings on, they can't find an extra job, they lose a job unexpectedly. There are tons of reasons. People may make just enough money for the bills and not even have $20 left over to save.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I agree with you.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• exactly , think about all the coffee and junk food or movie dates , cable, cell phones, internet believe me it's a lot of things you can stop doing in order to have some extra money
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 9:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Well for us it is a matter of affording less. HOwever some people lost jobs and some people have bit hit hard with the financial mess. So for some it is not just about a budget.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You don't know everyone financial situation. I'm quite sure some people would love to do that but can't afford it just like ashisamom said people are going through things and just cant afford it. I know me and my hubby put back money one year and end up having to use it because he had to have reconstructive knee surgery and there went our savings.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 5:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• we save throughout the yr. every month when we do the budget we put a certain amount away in a savings account just for Christmas and the 3 birthdays we have around the holidays. but i agree with the first poster that things come up you cant always account for.
    AgentBrez

Answer by AgentBrez at 5:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I would just forget where I put everything and then longed to hide and hope the kids do not find before then. Plus a sttuborn husband. I would love to at least start after halloween and by a little and a little there. Cause he allows complains about the bill big for christmas for family and kids. But he never learns and since I have no income and not get any money except through him I just wait and then listen to the complaining year after year.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 5:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i'm excited about decorating this year just going to spent a couple dollars on some new decorations to add to the old stuff and buying ONLY a few gifts but i know they'll be excited because it's exactly what was asked for so the quantity won't matter yay just gotta get a FEW more items already let children know that i won't be spending a whole lot but Christmas will be just as exciting as any other year but probably more festive because of the added decorations and their still excited because they know that i choose good gifts and they have they stockings which have things like lipgloss, perfume, cologne,candy,small body washes,hotwheel cars,cards,etc so things will be ok and i won't spend much at all
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 12:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Because it's easier to cry poor and whine during the holidays because they know people will feel sorry for them and buy their kids gifts that I and many other people could never DREAM of affording. Some of us are content to teach our children that Christmas isn't about getting expensive toys and gifts.Our children learn from an early age to appreciate what they DO get instead of complaining about what they DON'T; thus, sending their parents into a state of hysteria this time of year trying to make sure their kids have the best and most expensive.
    Anonymous