can i take vicodin while breast feeding?

my dentist told me i have to pull out three molars can i take vicodin while breast feeding and have anyone taking it before during breast feeding please i need honest advice

SHYMILLENIUM

Asked by SHYMILLENIUM at 5:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Very little of pain medicine ends up in breast milk. But before you take it I would call the pediatrician or your ob and double check with them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i was taking percocet while breastfeeding (postpartum pain meds for a cesarean) and i was given the okay. i *think* it would be okay but best to check with the doctor, better safe than sorry.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• From what I understand you shouldn't be taking while breastfeeding. I'm not quite sure if it's safe, but I would ask your obgyn doctor instead.
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~LOBrgK:1

I'd ask for something else- if the dose is high enough it can make the baby pretty sleepy. Also, it might make you pretty groggy as well; if you are going to be alone with baby I'd definitely try something else, just in case the vicodin were to make you sleep more heavily or something.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• they gave them to me they said the only thing it does is make the baby sleep more
    nevaehsmommy10

Answer by nevaehsmommy10 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I had to be on Viocdin a few days, and they doctor only warned of possible constipation in my son...well he wasn't constipated
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I personally wouldn't take it.
    It's a narcotic and NO narcotic is 100% safe for anyone.
    Even if very little ends up in your breast milk why risk it?
    No one can safely determine how much does end up in there and with SIDs being a risk for newborns that would
    scare me off from it alone!
    You've suffered the grueling pain of childbirth a few molars being pulled is a cake walk honey...I'd stick with taking some
    or Tylenol.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/pain-meds.html

It is moderately safe, but there are many equally affective and safer pain medications.

RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 7:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It is considered safe if taken as directed. It is commonly given to c section moms, even nursing ones.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I wouldnt take it no matter what a doctor tells me. If it goes in my body then my son is getting it too through the milk, I dont care if it's just alittle, alittle in our minds might be way to much for babies little body.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2010