How much do you let your personal beliefs influence who you date/end up with?

The question about whether you would pick your SO or your religion kind of made me think about this. Now, I'm not talking about established relationships, more the "getting to know you" stage. If you met a guy, and during that whole "freshly dating phase" you found out he had some beliefs completely opposite your own, would you continue dating him?

Personally, I don't think I could. One of my best friends is a VERY liberal, bi-sexual agnostic, and she's married to a staunch Republican Catholic. I don't know how she does it. I need to be on the same page politically, (non) religiously, and socially with somebody, at least on the major issues, for a relationship to work. How about you?

Anouck

Asked by Anouck at 5:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• The beliefs that my SO had made a huge impact on whether we did continue to date or not. We have a lot of the same beliefs and morals. I could not be with someone who didn't those things in common with me.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• agree ^.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• When we started dating I was very religious, Catholic. He is an atheist.

It was not an issue for us. We just didn't discuss religion. In the past few years I have left the Catholic church and am looking elsewhere. I know I will never be an atheist, and he will never seek a religion.

We do hold the same political ideologies and discuss them frequently.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I am a Christian and my SO is well...he's "on the fence" about God.
    He used to believe up until his father passed away and ever since he's been angry with God.
    I'm hoping that my spiritualism and positive outlook will help him come back to Christ.

Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My faith makes the person I am. It is who I am. If I was establishing a deep relationship with a person who felt differently I couldn't be with that person. I was actually with a man who didnt have the same beliefs as I and I let him go. I knew that it wasn't going to work because what I believed and what he believed would clash with every decision that we would make therefor draining the relationship.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 5:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2010