Any ideas on stopping bedwetting? Son is 13, it doesn't seem like it will stop!

We have tried almost everything! He has ruined two matresses (w/ covers), we have to shampoo his carpet often. We wash bedding everyday. Pills don't work for him anymore. I know they only masked the problem. One Dr. told us him might never stop, he knows a couple of adults that still wet (son cried). Another Dr. told us his bladder is probably small and it will catch up and stop (two years ago). He does go alot during the day, but also can go almost all day without going. In doing research on the net found the Enuresis Treatment Clinic. Anyone heard of it? Does it work or just out to get your money? They claim they can help by phone consoulsing. They also claim it's really a sleep disorder and linking it to ADD. Which he has recently been put on meds for. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or knows for sure this works before we stick so much money into it. Thanks for any help!

boysforme-4

Asked by boysforme-4 at 11:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't have any answers for you but I am sure this has got to be a very difficult matter to deal with I hope you find something that helps him soon. Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I would be very wary of paying someone to counsel my son over the phone. Sounds fishy. Do lots more research before going for it.

My brother wet the bed well up into tween years. I can't remember exactly how old he was, but I do remember it stressed my mother out and embarrassed my brother terribly. The doctors did testing, but said they thought my brother just slept heavily and didn't wake to the urge like most people do.

The only possible suggestions I have are to have him limit all fluids after about 6 or 7 pm. Stay away from caffiene (it has a diuretic quality.) Then to urinate just before going to bed. Maybe he could set an alarm clock to go midway through the night. Buy a urinal that he can have at his bedside then he wouldn't have to walk to the bathroom. Wake him early to go then. And lastly (I know he will hate this) incontinence briefs just for night time.

Don't give up and good luck.
    RNMOMO4

Answer by RNMOMO4 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My son is also 13 and still wets the bed. He has ADD. It's very difficult. I, too wash the bedding every day. Sometimes he'll go up to 2 weeks without, but then it will be every day for a few weeks. I talked to a few people who said their boys were 14 when they stopped. I don't know what to do either.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• my oldest son had this problem and that is exactly what it was with us. he was growing faster then his bladder was. i hated everything you have gone through. my son refused the wear the underoos or the grandpa diapers but i insisted cause we couldn't deal with everything to clean and protect the bedding and mattress. he just has to wait it out. sorry i have never heard of that it must be new. i would try it. your son is very embarrassed by it. i would try it for his sake. he is really close to stopping as well. my son i think finally stopped at 14 although that may not be your case. there isn't much more options is there?
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• do u use the mattress covers that are plastic?? like the ones the mattress's came in? I have to get my 6yr old up out of bed to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and give him nothing to drink like 1-2hrs before bed too. He should be old enough to get up on his own like everyone else
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure if this will help, but I was a bedwetter until I was 13 (I'm 43 now) but my mother did not allow me to have even a small drink after 7:00 pm and she woke me up at 11:00 (or right before she went to bed) she'd set the alarm and wake me up again around 3:00 (alot of times she lead me in there while I was still sound asleep) and then she'd get me up again around 6 when she got up to go to work...may seem like alot of work but over several months she extended the time but 15 minutes then to 30 until I could hold it...I still had a view accidents but eventually I finally taught my bladder and my mind that I knew I had to go...
    AbbysAunt1

Answer by AbbysAunt1 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I'm right there with u with my 9yo. We limit drinks, wake up in the middle of the night twice and she still has accidents sometimes (not as often as b4 but enough to know that I'm in it for the long haul). Her dr also said genetics do play a role and that sucks for her. DH's sis wet until she was 17, my mom wet til she was 13 and my 16yo nephew is still dealing with it. My sis (the 16yo nephew's mom) does laundry daily and mid nite wakeups to no avail as well. He's been taking the pill since Feb and it's helped some, but still dealing with it. I can also vouch for the adult undergarments as we all went on a 2 wk vacation last summer and he needed to wear them since we were staying at various hotels. It does suck, but all I can really think of is to just be supportive and try to see him thru this.
    lakerfan420

Answer by lakerfan420 at 2:37 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• cont.

And maybe double up the mattress pads. We did that last yr when we replaced our dd's mattress. We use the plastic one that zips all the way around the mattress and then the fluffy type one on top. It's been working so far. Good luck.
    lakerfan420

Answer by lakerfan420 at 2:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• my newphew was a bed wetter,he is now 16.he stopped at age 14,theres nothing you can do except wait it out,none of the stuff that has been mentioned does not work my sister has been through this,putting them on proper bed wetter sheets and a pullup designed for bed wetters is a much better option,oh an the more you go on about it the more they will do it as it brings them down,treat it as a normal thing and just say oh well never mind.this has been proven to work.its been tested and tryed.they stop on there own accord not when you want them too,try it and mark down on calender aswell,and praise on the less nites he has wet,it works.
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 6:32 AM on Nov. 5, 2008