Am I horable for not thinking about this?

Yesterday my daugher ran out of milk, she is on similac but I had a sample can of enfamil and I gave that to her and was going to get her milk today. In the middle of the night I got up to check on her and she had used the bathroom EVERYWHERE. I got her up and gave her a bath She wasn't acting like her tummy hurt or anything but, Is it harmful that I gave her a differant brand milk and it didn't agree with her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You know, as a mom you can't think of everything! If she is your first child you are learning as you go, there is nothing wrong with that, that is the way of life. It makes sense in hindsight that it may mess up her tummy, but when she is screaming for dinner, you just react, and do what you can at the time to fill her needs. Don't worry. You live and learn!
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 11:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I asked my dr that question and he said no it is not harmful. However maybe that one just didnt agree with her or it was something entirely different. In fact I usually use the Target brand formula. It has all the same ingret. I also checked with him and he said it completely fine.
    leeh5

Answer by leeh5 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• its not harmful to give your bAby a different type of formula. As long as your not mixing regular milk based formula if she drinks soy. Some of the formulas just naturally don't agree with some kids bellies. My dd has been on Nestle Good Start since she was 2 mos (I BF before that) She can drink Enfamil just fine, but for whatever reason Similac doesn't agree with her. As long as she's eating, you can finish the can of formula, just be prepared she might be gassy or have that diarreah or whatever she did while your using it. I wouldn't use it unless you have to.. but everyonce in a while isn't going to do her any harm. It might just take a few bottles for her to get used to the difference in ingredients.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I'm not sure why you're concerned that your child would have a bowel movement.. That's a good thing.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• It's not harmful, but it can be hard for the tummy to adjust to such a quick change if baby's tummy is sensitive. Some kids jump between formulas w/o any problems. Baby's probably just sensitive to that particular formula. She'll be fine. There's nothing wrong with what you did. You feed your baby with what you had. If her she hadn't gotten sick, would you still ask?

My baby had similac first when I had trouble breastfeeding. THen the doc gave us enfamil samples and we used that afterwards. no tummy problems. I felt bad just b/c I used formula at all, but got over it. Don't worry, you're still a good mommy!
    Anonymous