How can I wean my 18mo breast fed boy- he wont sleep!

My son is 18mos adn still breast fed, no biggie except he wont sleep he wakes 5 times a night for more! He eats regular foods and eats better than my 3 & 4 yrs. Also, my nipples have been on fire since he started teething. I am in tears everytime he nurses (which is often at night) because I am hurting so bad. I just want to stop.

Asked by tiffs3 at 7:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It seems like it is time to quit!! My son bite my breast once...I still have the scar. OMG that hurt. If he bites you again, put him down right away and say "NO". He will cry and that is good are teaching him that he should not do that. When he calms, he can proceed with the feeding...hopefully it will not happen again. For your sake. To wean him off the breast try mixing 1/2 breast milk with formula or whole milk...and gradually add more milk to the bottle and less breast milk. Adding cereal at nite may help to fill him up so that he is not up so often. good luck ..hope ya can get some rest!!

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• As my pedi. said "just cut em off cold turkey" this is what I did with my daughter. We had a few sleepless nights but it was worth the effort. It took her 3 days to quit the daytime feedings and about a week for the night feedings. GOOD LUCK!!!

Answer by livytwo at 9:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I guess it depends on how many times he's feeding at night. What worked for me is I started putting a sippy cup of water in his crib with him, and then he would wake up and drink the water instead of call me for a feeding. He was really just thirsty. At that age they are supposed to last the night without eating.

Answer by Anna_2250 at 10:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I'm going to go against the grain here. I don't think breastfeeding is the issue. It sounds like thrush or yeast. I would try giving him a probiotic and getting gentian violet to put on your nipples. Avoid excess sugars if possible, as this feeds yeast. Yeast in the gut can be a large cause of night waking. Good luck!

Answer by faeriemamma at 10:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I went thru this and what my husband and I decided is that we had to change his schedule. If he woke in the middle of the night instead of me getting him or nursing him my husband would have to get up and comfort him. This way he was not rewarded with me or my boobs. We stopped his night time feedings this way, I will say he continued to wake though. A few months later he stopped nursing during the day as well.
    The pain you describe is not normal and I would check with your doctor about it since there might be yeast or some other infection going on. I have nursed all three of my boys and never had problems when they got teeth. I think they each would bite when they were done nursing and bored but I learned to remove them before they would bite after awhile... your nipples should not burn like you describe though.

Answer by QueenB2411 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Thank you all for your help. I tried letting him stay at my moms a few nights ago and he slept all night! He wont touch a bottle or sippy cup at night. How would I know if thrush or yeast is the problem? Also, for the lady who said to quit cold turkey... I tried a few weeks ago but I was so miserable and afraid of getting an infection that I caved. How do you do it?

Answer by tiffs3 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2008