Are kids nowadays more aggressive than "back when I was young"?

I keep reading this article about Justin Bieber's little fans making death threats to the likes of Kim Kardashian, because they joked about her being his "girlfriend" and such... I mean, I had a SUPER crush on George Michael (yeah yeah) when I was a kid, I was a member of his fan club, had my room plastered with his posters and all that jazz, but I certainly never felt the need to kill anybody he was supposedly "dating"...

And while I'm at it, Justin Bieber, really??? I mean, he sounds like a girl, and he kinda looks like one too, what's the appeal?

Anouck

Asked by Anouck at 6:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Kids these days are more violent and at a younger age than 50 years ago. Sad, isn't it?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think its too much tv and movies and not enough spankings! lol JMO
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yes I think so.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Of course they are. They've all (well NOT all) become desensitized.
    Kids kill and act aggressively on a regular basis through video games and watch killing take place on things like Family Guy, Simpsons, CSI, Cold Case not to mention all the random stupidity on shows like Jack-Ass and the like.
    Murder and violence (even violent threats) have become part of our everyday American lexicon and the viewing norm.
    Threats and aggression are thrown around all the time on kids cartoons. Even the tamer ones.
    Is it any wonder why the aggression rate has become higher and at a younger age given these factors??
    I've even heard of Toddlers getting expelled from preschool due to violence! Toddlers!
    It's a shame what the media, pop-culture and of course certain parents' lack of monitoring (ie; parenting) has done to our children.

Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think it has a lot to do with desensitization. Compare what kids will watch and get blazay about today and what they watched 50 years ago. Clock work orange was banned in the 70s by the director because he thought it too violent. Today its like a child's tea party compared to somethings out there on the screen today. Its a sad state of the world when people do not get horrified by half the things that go on or are viewable atm.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 6:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• of course, how could they not be
    just turn on the tv, even kids shows have commercials that show violent shows
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

Spankings make kids LESS aggressive? Are you serious??? Studies have proven over and over again that spanked children are MORE aggressive than children who are not spanked. Try again.
    Anonymous

• I have to say I agree with the anon on that, I don't think spankings make kids less aggressive, quite the contrary... But I do think there's a certain lack of discipline (and by that, I mean rules, you don't need to get physical to enforce those) by the parents that's to blame. A lot of kids nowadays are downright disrespectful. My son is only 2, but he knows to listen to me, and uses "please" and "thank you" at appropriate times.
    Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My kids are crazy but not aggressive.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You are a very nasty lady!
    Mommy1234321

Answer by Mommy1234321 at 7:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2011